step1

Self Enquiry: How To

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys and girls,

Could anyone point me in the direction of or give me an overview of how to conduct self enquiry meditation?

Many Thanks

6 minutes ago, Galyna said:

Leo has video about it. Look here:

http://www.actualized.org/categories/enlightenment

Thanks..  I read somewhere on the forum that he is yet to make a video on self enquiry?  I have watched most of his meditation videos and don't remember the self enquiry, unless I am mistaken?

In a nutshell:

You have to ask yourself a question and just "listen" for the answer. Don't search for an answer intellectually - just feel your way into the question and then listen ..... a question could be:

Who am I?
Where am I?
When am I?
Why am I?
Who is listening/hearing/....?

Probably you have to get your mind calm at first. So if you don't have any experience in meditation you probably have to do some meditation at first to calm down your mind.

Self-inquiry is extremely simple (and therefore extremely difficult):

Step 1: Sit down in a quiet place

Step 2: Create a possibility in your mind that you do not actually know who or what you are.

Step 3: Ask yourself, "Who or what am I?"

Step 4: Genuinely wonder what you could be other than a body/mind. Probe your direct experience for answers. Discard all verbal or rational answers. Try to burn through all your beliefs, assumptions, and images of who you are. Drop all of them over time.

Step 5: Enlightenment spontaneously dawns after tens or hundreds of thousands of times of asking the question.

That's basically all there is to it. But of course, in practice, it will feel 1000x more complicated and more challenging.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@step1

This is my ultimate guide on the real practice of Self-Enquiry.  According to Ramana Maharshi.  It is extremely simple, and the masters say that if you are not luck enough to attain Self-Realization in this lifetime from doing this practice, it does not matter because it brings increased peace and many benefits along the way.  It has been described as a win-win practice.

Watch these videos, do the practice and go back to these videos as tutorials.  Nothing could be more simpler than this.

First download this free ebook published by the Ramana Maharshi Ashram:

http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/who_am_I.pdf

For the newbies, don't forget to switch the main question if it doesn't click.

For me personnally, "what I am" works better than "who I am".

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them