Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

Making A Career Out Of Big Picture Thinking?

12 posts in this topic

I've been doing the life purpose course, and I'm slowly discovering that what I really enjoy the most is being a big picture thinker. I don't really enjoy being specific and doing something specialized, but what I do really enjoy doing is working with how things relate to each other, rather than dealing with the world in a rather distinct way. For example, just say you had to build a lego house, I would rather figure out how the walls and roof and door relate to each other, and how to place them together rather than make a wall, or make a door, etc. 

I've got a few jobs that might be in alignment with my purpose: data science, sociology(sociology is so cool) complex systems, systems engineering.

Though these jobs are hard for graduates to get into straight off the bat, and I can't really see how they could contribute to making the world a more conscious, loving place. Does anyone else know any jobs that seem like you need to be a big picture thinker in order to succeed?

Sorry for it being so abstract, the inner voice doesn't like making things concrete and easy to understand ;)

Edited by electroBeam

@electroBeam follow your intuition and stop asking people on a forum who know nothing about you. Only tou can know. Only you have a direct access to how your life was fabricated to prepare yoi gor what you need to do.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

a@electroBeam have you thought about editing/writing. Do you think you'd like it. 

It's a great job from a consciousness and self awareness and they even help to grasp the big picture thinking

Edited by Loreena

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

if you like writing, what about writing a book for 20y-old-students who lack orientation.

title something like: "what should I do after school?"

Big Picture:

- timeline: 20s exploration-process, then mastery of skill/field

- importance of good career, how do I create a good career, importance of contribution to world

- what is happiness/fulfillment

- what is important

- psychological stuff (how to free yourself from social conditioning, self-image, tricks of mind, belief-systems...)

- maybe a little bit of spirituality

~ big-picture-book: how to create a good/happy life

target group: for example students

oh man, I've been thinking about this for half a year now...maybe I should write a book like this :D

what do you think about this idea?

sorry I'm reviving this old post but I couldn't myself from asking, @electroBeam have you considered systems thinking? Working with complex social systems (education, government, health etc.) and bringing a massive change in there?

reading your post was like reading my own thoughts so I really want to know what you're up to now with your life purpose? if you're comfortable sharing..

@Vaishnavi Hi Vaishnavi, i did a degree in engineering and i didnt want to waste it which strongly influenced my decisions. Im cofounding a successful startup in health care which uses IoT technology in combination with ayurveda to solve the well known silo problem

Making a startup requires a suprising amount of systems thinking. because startups are small, you need to at the very least consider perspectives in marketing, sales economics, venture capital mindset, medical perspectives(i strongly suggest that you get into healthcare or something alturistic,working hard to save someones life is much easier than working hard  to sell people icecream for example) even if your focus is engineering. which is great because your job has a certain energy and vibration that reflects a wholeness and completeness. In a startup, you get to see how a company is made from the ground up, which again means you get to feel everything in the company. 

Other than startups, ive interned as a research engineer at my university, and also as a data scientist at the CSIRO If you want to be a systems thinker, keep clear of academia. Researching in a multidisciplinary academic environment sounds holistic and meaningful, but when you actually do it, you realize academic research is unnecessarily clunky and mechanic. Submitting a research paper is 90% mechanically reading over your thesis to make sure all of the pedantic bs that doesn't change much wont be the thing that rejects all of your work. The other 10% is actual intuitive insight, which is only developed through a holistic understanding of what you're reading about.

Concerns you may have:

-> I'm from India! Startups suck over here! Yes the government isn't helping startups much in India, but really what you're looking for in a holistic career is to somehow give value to the world and to create an atmosphere that is most receptive to your spiritual work. The government in India specifically sucks at giving funding to startups and preventing their regulations, but governments can't hinder you in giving value to people in your country. A startup is a social movement with a clear plan of obtaining money, not a business. Startups require passion, enthusiasm and morale, not complex management seen in established businesses. If it helps, my country is rated just as low in the innovation and startup scale as India, and we are still thriving. 

-> It takes up a lot of time, time you can spend on meditation or self inquiry. Startups give you the opportunity to be extremely flexible in your working conditions. If you meditate for 4 hours during office time, no one is going to complain. You're the boss. You can arrange your life in a spiritually significant way, like how I've done. The only constraint is its hard work. Everything else you can do.

Imagine making a startup that uses technology to more effectively harness water for farmers in india. Or by making some sort of device that changes India's culture to consume water at a slower rate, like for example make a deal that you will provide a water delivery service to indian farmers at a certain price, very conveniently, and this pricing model ensures that water is taken from rivers at a slower rate. Could you imagine being annoyed with spending a lot of time on a job like that? Maybe Sadhguru will notice and give you free meditation training ;)

In my second internship, I was still doing research, but for industry. What I've realized is unfortunately, the more intellectually smart you are, the more likely you will thrive in a very fragmented, specialized field, that is void of holistic thinking. See 90% of specialized work isn't holistic insight, its mechanic nitty gritty stuff that isn't fun, but intellects are very good at. The higher up you go, the more holistic it is, even though the higher you go the more political it gets as well. 

Even though that's the case, there are some jobs(in the engineering field) that are more likely to be holistic then mechanic:

-> a job that has 'director' in it

-> a systems engineer (its an actual job, for example SpaceX and Northrop Grumman has one)

-> Senior Technical Engineer (google's hierarchy)

To find a holistic job in the industry, you need to look for smaller companies, higher positions in those smaller companies, and the more vague a title is the better(probably because its holistic which is hard to define). A Cofounder is a perfect example of a vague title. Another tip is to find jobs where the actual workflow isn't well defined. Jobs where there isn't a well established way of doing it tends to be more holistic in my experience. This includes being an artificial intelligence expert rather than a software engineer(in my experience). This is because the more defined a job is, the more segregated and separate it is. 

Basically the formula for finding a holistic job:

holistic-job-points = (how vague the title is) * (how high up you are) + how small the company is.

Anyway the takeaway is get into a startup, if that's too hard use this formula ^ to find a holistic job. But if you really want to max out your holistic skills, the most meaningful way is to become an alternative medicine practitioner, if you have the balls to do so. 

22 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

@Vaishnavi Hi Vaishnavi, i did a degree in engineering and i didnt want to waste it which strongly influenced my decisions. Im cofounding a successful startup in health care which uses IoT technology in combination with ayurveda to solve the well known silo problem

Making a startup requires a suprising amount of systems thinking. because startups are small, you need to at the very least consider perspectives in marketing, sales economics, venture capital mindset, medical perspectives(i strongly suggest that you get into healthcare or something alturistic,working hard to save someones life is much easier than working hard  to sell people icecream for example) even if your focus is engineering. which is great because your job has a certain energy and vibration that reflects a wholeness and completeness. In a startup, you get to see how a company is made from the ground up, which again means you get to feel everything in the company. 

Other than startups, ive interned as a research engineer at my university, and also as a data scientist at the CSIRO If you want to be a systems thinker, keep clear of academia. Researching in a multidisciplinary academic environment sounds holistic and meaningful, but when you actually do it, you realize academic research is unnecessarily clunky and mechanic. Submitting a research paper is 90% mechanically reading over your thesis to make sure all of the pedantic bs that doesn't change much wont be the thing that rejects all of your work. The other 10% is actual intuitive insight, which is only developed through a holistic understanding of what you're reading about.

Concerns you may have:

-> I'm from India! Startups suck over here! Yes the government isn't helping startups much in India, but really what you're looking for in a holistic career is to somehow give value to the world and to create an atmosphere that is most receptive to your spiritual work. The government in India specifically sucks at giving funding to startups and preventing their regulations, but governments can't hinder you in giving value to people in your country. A startup is a social movement with a clear plan of obtaining money, not a business. Startups require passion, enthusiasm and morale, not complex management seen in established businesses. If it helps, my country is rated just as low in the innovation and startup scale as India, and we are still thriving. 

-> It takes up a lot of time, time you can spend on meditation or self inquiry. Startups give you the opportunity to be extremely flexible in your working conditions. If you meditate for 4 hours during office time, no one is going to complain. You're the boss. You can arrange your life in a spiritually significant way, like how I've done. The only constraint is its hard work. Everything else you can do.

Imagine making a startup that uses technology to more effectively harness water for farmers in india. Or by making some sort of device that changes India's culture to consume water at a slower rate, like for example make a deal that you will provide a water delivery service to indian farmers at a certain price, very conveniently, and this pricing model ensures that water is taken from rivers at a slower rate. Could you imagine being annoyed with spending a lot of time on a job like that? Maybe Sadhguru will notice and give you free meditation training ;)

In my second internship, I was still doing research, but for industry. What I've realized is unfortunately, the more intellectually smart you are, the more likely you will thrive in a very fragmented, specialized field, that is void of holistic thinking. See 90% of specialized work isn't holistic insight, its mechanic nitty gritty stuff that isn't fun, but intellects are very good at. The higher up you go, the more holistic it is, even though the higher you go the more political it gets as well. 

Even though that's the case, there are some jobs(in the engineering field) that are more likely to be holistic then mechanic:

-> a job that has 'director' in it

-> a systems engineer (its an actual job, for example SpaceX and Northrop Grumman has one)

-> Senior Technical Engineer (google's hierarchy)

To find a holistic job in the industry, you need to look for smaller companies, higher positions in those smaller companies, and the more vague a title is the better(probably because its holistic which is hard to define). A Cofounder is a perfect example of a vague title. Another tip is to find jobs where the actual workflow isn't well defined. Jobs where there isn't a well established way of doing it tends to be more holistic in my experience. This includes being an artificial intelligence expert rather than a software engineer(in my experience). This is because the more defined a job is, the more segregated and separate it is. 

Basically the formula for finding a holistic job:

holistic-job-points = (how vague the title is) * (how high up you are) + how small the company is.

Anyway the takeaway is get into a startup, if that's too hard use this formula ^ to find a holistic job. But if you really want to max out your holistic skills, the most meaningful way is to become an alternative medicine practitioner, if you have the balls to do so. 

Interesting amigo. I've finished my Health Economics masters and eventually plan on pursuing my life purpose in the HC sector. Becoming a Visionary requires a lot of system thinking :)

Anxiety and depression are a major major growing problem. Would like to contribute to a high consciousness reform of the mental health care setting worlwide. Incorporating self-actualization elements. Especially non-duality teachings.

18 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Im cofounding a successful startup in health care which uses IoT technology in combination with ayurveda to solve the well known silo problem

Interesting. Startups have always fascinated me due to the complexity and challenge they offer. 

More than health care, it is the educational system that I personally am drawn to, and yes its a complex and abstract one to work with. I've not given much thought to research but thanks for suggesting, I'll look into it. And also I like this thought of yours- the more vague the title is, the better it is because it's more holistic that way 

18 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Jobs where there isn't a well established way of doing it tends to be more holistic in my experience.

Makes sense. Like being the CEO of some giant corporate company or our own personal development, there isn't a well established way of doing the work the reason why its holistic, and definitely intriguing ;) 

19 hours ago, electroBeam said:

But if you really want to max out your holistic skills, the most meaningful way is to become an alternative medicine practitioner, if you have the balls to do so. 

Is there a particular reason why you suggest the idea of being a medicine practitioner? I mean how will this field specifically help me to max out my holistic skills? 

7 hours ago, Vaishnavi said:

Is there a particular reason why you suggest the idea of being a medicine practitioner? I mean how will this field specifically help me to max out my holistic skills? 

Ayurveda and Chinese Traditional medicine(the alternative medicines) are holistic in nature. We are using Ayurveda precisely because its a well thought out holistic approach to improving someone's wellbeing.

I'm only suggesting stuff in my experience. I haven't dabbled in the educational space that much. 

I worked with a professor at my university on inventing a new online learning system that was based on a psychological research branch called self regulated learning.

It was very multidisciplinary, but academic scientists do a terrible job of relating information together. 

This is because everything that is made in an academic setting must be run under the scientific method. The scientific  method is predicated upon testing 1 variable only, that's 1 quantifiable piece of mental thought.

If you add 2 or 3 variables, the scientific method falls apart. The scientific method, at its core, doesnt have any facilities for effectively testing relationships between multiple variables AT ONCE. This is a huge problem if you want to access the power of holism.

And based on what I saw, the educational system is very mechanic and scientific in their approaches to teaching.

Marking schemes rely upon breaking down pieces of information and attaching a mark to them so they can scientifically give each person a fair Mark. 

The actual techniques taught by teachers are very poorly designed for matching relationships between pieces of information.

For example, to construct an argument, you need to use the PEEL method, point explanation evidence and link. Highly separatist sort of stuff.

Actually teaching and disciplining students was the only holistic thing I saw. But the training programs for teaching kids is again, run by a highly separatist educational system who segregate everything to allot marks to people.

There are holistic educational systems out there, like This one but.... these institutions are considered weird and esoteric hahaha. Convincing people who are rational(like the government) to fund these things is difficult.

Maybe schools in India are different, so don't take my word for it. Though alternative medical practitioners are the only set of fields that are purely holistic in nature.

On 11/3/2017 at 7:22 AM, electroBeam said:

Maybe schools in India are different, so don't take my word for it.

You're in for a surprise then. The obsession with engineering and medical here is good enough to give you nausea. The system sucks the life out of you and since it has personally affected me and since I see people around me grappling with it everyday, I'm more drawn towards the field. People here need a paradigm shift really, which is a greater challenge. 

@electroBeam If you are interested in the business field you might very much enjoy the career of strategic management. It is highly strategical field and requires exactly the big picture thinking aka bird's eye view. And if you want to really contribute to the humanity you may work as strategic planner or manager for charity organization or NGO or maybe business which produces quality products.

Edited by egoless