BojackHorseman

Is it too late to try and accomplish something?

7 posts in this topic

As in, trying to be an entrepreneur, make money or something. I'm in my 40s, and clearly it's not my personnality to build something that makes money/makes a change in the world.
I do like to make artistic stuff but I kind of admitted to myself that I would just do it for me, as I don't seem to have what it takes to make good art. Also, the few times I tried to work with people on paid or unpaid projects, it was exciting at first but always ended up being kind of icky and stressful at some point, not sure why. But I just feel it, it doesn't work.
Plus, adding IA incoming, clearly the artistic jobs will change.

Sure I can keep on doing it for me and a few people that I could eventually attract by having a specific vibe.

But my question is...should I try to make something else out of it, some kind of business, of even try and learn something else that could bea more relevant business? Is it necessary to life to feel fullfilled? I can't seem to find a way to completely fill the hole, and lots of spiritual/personal development people seem to push the idea of being an entrepeneur.

Maybe this only applies to younger people? (obviously, it could still apply to older ones, but ones with a certain type of personnality of experience, I really spent my life noodling and not learning anything, so I'm basically at baby level)

Posted (edited)

It's not too late to build something. Enjoy the process. Consider Leo's life purpose course. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

14 minutes ago, BojackHorseman said:

As in, trying to be an entrepreneur, make money or something. I'm in my 40s, and clearly it's not my personnality to build something that makes money/makes a change in the world.
I do like to make artistic stuff but I kind of admitted to myself that I would just do it for me, as I don't seem to have what it takes to make good art. Also, the few times I tried to work with people on paid or unpaid projects, it was exciting at first but always ended up being kind of icky and stressful at some point, not sure why. But I just feel it, it doesn't work.
Plus, adding IA incoming, clearly the artistic jobs will change.

Sure I can keep on doing it for me and a few people that I could eventually attract by having a specific vibe.

But my question is...should I try to make something else out of it, some kind of business, of even try and learn something else that could bea more relevant business? Is it necessary to life to feel fullfilled? I can't seem to find a way to completely fill the hole, and lots of spiritual/personal development people seem to push the idea of being an entrepeneur.

Maybe this only applies to younger people? (obviously, it could still apply to older ones, but ones with a certain type of personnality of experience, I really spent my life noodling and not learning anything, so I'm basically at baby level)

Usually people at forty had gained wisdom an some completion in life. They became enlightened. Their life is complete at forty. 

Yes
That is why I'm questionning myself
Maybe I should (happily) accept that some stages of life have past me by and just enjoy what I have and the present

That being said @Tought art is right too. If I want to, I can. I'd just have to be smart about it to make up for my lack of experience and energy compared to younger people.
It's quite hard to build something artistic tho, I'm not against IA but if I was fully invested in making money out of an artistic career, I'd be quite afraid of the future right now.

Just picture being a youtuber, or video game programmer, that's looking for concept art or music (not there yet I think this also exists), it's now so easy to pay less, or even use free AI for results that can fool 95% of people and therefore just give you what you want.

So for me, commission work seems quite dead in the future (but obviously, I could be wrong).
Maybe the way is to be what some already do, which is being some kind of "entertainer"? As in, on Youtube or Tiktok, the personnality is what separates them form others with the same or better skill level.

But I'm most certainly not looking in the right direction. There's probably an out of box way to think about how to stay relevant in these fields (which are, I think, the ones that are really resonating with me, so there's probably no need to look elsewhere thinking about it)

Sorry, just rambling out loud here I guess.

And the funny thing is, maybe just doing it without any goal and keeping my survival job, might actually bewhat would make me happy if I let go of the idea of all those shiny people making a living out of it. Really not sure which one it is, if I'm fooling myself into thinking that "making it" would make me happier than juste having it as a hobby, or if I actually really crave for accomplishing something, and fear and lazyness are blinding my brain into not getting shit done and learning what I could about getting popular.

"The biggest mistake an artist can make is paying attention to the audience"

Artists - Does it for themself...for its own sake

Business - Does it FOR "other", performance-based etc.

As for your question ("should I try to make something else out of it, some kind of business, of even try and learn something else that could bea more relevant business? Is it necessary to life to feel fullfilled?")......as the (theoretical) business owner, its YOUR job to SELL US the WHY....not the other way around. So, NO, it is not "too late" for you. The question is: What are you going to do about it? 

@BojackHorsemanIf you have family . Make sure a sufficient backup as emergency fund. Even if your creative endeavor start on very small scale. Just start. If you had good success in it ; you can always convert it into entrepreneurial pursuit. The major guilt as time goes by :

Why we haven't done it ?

why we haven't started and saw how it goes ?

Why we haven't even tried ?

Replace "We" with "I" .

Don't put age as barrier until there is major issue on health front.