martins name

Why Scepticism is Limited.

10 posts in this topic

We all know this type of person the rationalist, atheist, sceptic, Sam Harris kind of guy. If you are on this forum it means that you have observed the limits of this epistemology. It finally hit me why. In all areas of knowledge, there is a history of paradigm shifts. These areas include epistemology, physics, ontology etc. It's stupid to assume we now have the final paradigm in any area. 

A paradigm is a constellation of ideas. To understand the power of a paradigm you need to understand the whole paradigm at once. Only in relation to all other beliefs of the paradigm can the full power of one belief be fully understood. The mistake that the skeptic makes is they judge every belief separately from the whole paradigm. They then discard the belief and judge the next belief individually. 

When I discover a belief that is somewhat interesting and doesn't go with my current paradigm, I don't discard it, rather I archive it. And when I look at another idea from that paradigm I do so with the other ideas in the constellation that I've archived. Then I view the world from the perspective of the whole paradigm at once and judge it on it's predictive and descriptive power.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Problem with skepticism is that its first principle is negation, therefore division. Cognitively this seems harmless, but energetically the skeptic aligns with untruth (without even realizing what he's doing) because he has alienated affirmation (of what is)

It's Love.

Posted (edited)

It's also worth delineating between healthy and unhealthy forms of skepticism. The former involves cultivating an openness to experience alongside one's introspective and meta-cognitive abilities.

While the latter tends to be more about 'debunking' perspectives that you find unpalatable for one reason or another, without the internal work that's a hallmark of healthy skepticism.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Posted (edited)

Skepticism and open-mindedness have to go together, realize how you are skeptical about skepticism, and without being open-minded one couldn't even be skeptical.

Also, Skepticism doesn't lead to discarding any idea completely, ever. 

it is illogical to assume one is discarding any doubted belief completely, we just forget it temporarily till we wait to come across it again, we forget the main doubted belief, but we usually still carry the pathways that led us to that doubt.

The reason we forget is storing the probabilistic spectrum of doubts or beliefs is highly expensive for our capacity.

Edit: just a correction, along with the main belief, the pathways, other beliefs, and impressions that lead to that belief might get forgotten, I am saying this because even if we are okay to forget an idea but want to come across it again, we should at least protect the pathways that lead to that idea, at least to some extent, otherwise we won't even be aware of what to remember. obviously, grammar logic and reasoning + emotions are other key things to efficiently restore that idea.

Edited by Ahbapx

Posted (edited)

Skepticism is itself a paradigm and a bias, which the skeptic doesn't realize yet.

The bottom line is that you don't know that skepticism is true.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Skepticism is itself a paradigm and a bias, which the skeptic doesn't realize yet.

The bottom line is that you don't know that skepticism is true.

You are very skeptical about skepticism :)

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, Ahbapx said:

You are very skeptical about skepticism :)

and you are very skeptical about leo's view about skepticism x)

Edited by royce

3 minutes ago, royce said:

and you are very skeptical about leo's view about skepticism x)

the difference is I am fine with being skeptical, being called skeptical, or dealing with skeptics.

I don't need to bash skepticism as if it is not fueled by open-mindedness. x)

I should have named the thread the problem with sceptics. Ofc scepticism should be integrated with openmindedness. 

14 hours ago, RendHeaven said:

Problem with skepticism is that its first principle is negation, therefore division. Cognitively this seems harmless, but energetically the skeptic aligns with untruth (without even realizing what he's doing) because he has alienated affirmation (of what is)

This is great thank you👌

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Posted (edited)

If you are not a skeptical person in todays world, you are credolous fool.
The right path is being skeptical without becomming a skeptic.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke