Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meta_male

Why do soft noises trigger me so much?

6 posts in this topic

Like when someone is eating, tapping their fingers, brushes over their clothes with their hands, scratches themselves, sipping a drink, clicking sounds with their lips, just anything that's really subtle. This shit drives me nuts. Something inside me gets triggered and wants me to react in totally unreasonable ways like knocking them unconscious, while said person is just happily doing their own thing. My parents never understood when I tried to make them understand how irritated I was as a kid, I thought they do it intentionally to annoy me. Other people I explain this to have no clue what I'm talking about. So what exactly do you think is going on?

I have a theory that could explain some of the triggers like eating and lip sounds, saliva sounds that may or may not be true. 

My guess is. You have sexual association with these sounds and these sounds stimulate you in a sexual way (on a very subtle level). Hence when you're in the environment where feeling araused is inappropriate or unwanted yet you can't help but be stimulated by these sounds. You get angry. 

It can take a lot self awareness tho to really notice what is happening right before the irritation comes. But I'm confident it is a feeling that you really really don't want to feel hence you become angry. Sexual arousal would be my guess of what that underlying feeling you try to get rid of is. 

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

Thanks, appreciate it.

I mean it does sound interesting but I don't know...I'll try to watch what happens more consciously next time in this regard. The sounds do feel inappropriate though.

It's just all types of subtle noises that irritate me, and others seem to be totally unaware.

When I was younger, I got annoyed with someone's breathing too much. They're breathing too loud. 

That's called misophonia (maybe look into it for answers). I have it too, so I understand the intensity of it.

@Sabth I remember a school trip with sleep over when I woke up a school mate because he was breathing in his sleep.

@Clarence Thanks a bunch, mate! Will look into this more, but it sure could explain a lot. Just saw there's a misophonia forum too.