Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarkKol

What are some risky decisions / moves you decided to make? Share stories

10 posts in this topic

I believe in the power of scary decisions, so I'll start, honestly, I'm considering doing something that shakes me up out of my bed even when I'm completely sleep-deprived with the worst cold imaginable (actually true right now). I'm considering moving to Canada and leaving my comfortable above average job/life here in Europe, I have 3 average size houses here, a high-paying income compared to other residents, a car that was given to me for free, and another newer one If I want it. And yeah, actually I'm not just considering, but I have already decided, it scares me to death, I have no one in Canada to support me and no one supporting me in doing this, and yet this life here feels mediocre at best even when it's highly above average on paper. I'm only 20 years old and I see the advantage in that, being young means that I can tolerate just about anything, I can tolerate sleeping on a blanket on the floor because I don't have money for a bed, and I can tolerate not having a desk, a chair, In other words, I can adapt to just about anything. I feel like decisions like these are necessary and have a curing/healing effect on the mind. Every inspiring person I've met has been able to tell stories about his or her hardship, adventures, life-changing events, and really irrational decisions.

I like this example from Steve Jobs, at the age of 19, in 1974 Steve traveled to India for 7 months seeking spiritual enlightenment, this was a place in time without phones, no Google Maps, no directions and he went to a place that had little to no roads! What was wrong with this guy? Some members of this forum go to India today for a short while and they get lost and attacked by bison, what about getting lost In India in 1974, 8000 miles away from home? what about getting robbed? murdered? swindled? injured? Steve did it anyway. When he returned "he was almost unrecognizable" and 2 years later, Apple was born.

We should follow the maps inspiring and successful people left for us, Steve was a genius, and most people struggle to build companies when they're 40 to 50 years old with decades of experience, Steve built a 2 trillion dollar company at 21 years old. His mind was nothing short of a genius, But I digress.

Based on watching Jordan Peterson I would say that his whole thing is advocating and at the same time discouraging for exactly these types of decisions.

Share your story if you have one or if you're planning on doing something!

Edited by MarkKol

Why Canada?

The grass is not greener elsewhere, the journey is internal.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

1 hour ago, Schizophonia said:

Why Canada?

Although I like Canada It's 1 step closer to my eternal love New York, America is tough on Immigrants, but Canada (Toronto) is the opposite. Extremely easy to move, not much harder than moving to Spain or Germany if you're a European citizen.

There is nothing I feel more passionate about than the United States, I'm kind of a patriot, so I decided to follow that passion to see where it leads me. 

The Journey is everything in the journey of life, I've been to the US countless times since I was a kid and I'll tell you that the grass is definitely greener for me. I'll knock on every door in Toronto for a job If I need to, It's not like It's forbidden. It pays to be stubborn sometimes. I'm leaving late this year or early next year, or as soon as I feel like it.

Although other countries are also pretty good in their own way nothing hits closer to home than NY. I never managed to lose the home-alone 2 magic.

There's nothing particularly good about the US or Canada compared to Europe, actually, It's pretty irrational to move when you can move to Switzerland or Norway and be 100x better off financially, health-wise, be a million times safer, and probably better off in every way imaginable, but It's just that feeling I can't describe, I love it and I really don't care about healthy Switzerland chilling right next door, where the grass is quite literally greener.

Edited by MarkKol

I like to view even the most mundane tasks as risky. You can learn a lot from the ordinary.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

1 minute ago, Buck Edwards said:

Experimenting with psychedelic substances. 

I’m very thankful going the therapy route. You work with the therapist for multiple sessions even before doing your first dose to really prepare you.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

3 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Although I like Canada It's 1 step closer to my eternal love New York, America is tough on Immigrants, but Canada (Toronto) is the opposite. Extremely easy to move, not much harder than moving to Spain or Germany if you're a European citizen.

There is nothing I feel more passionate about than the United States, I'm kind of a patriot, so I decided to follow that passion to see where it leads me. 

The Journey is everything in the journey of life, I've been to the US countless times since I was a kid and I'll tell you that the grass is definitely greener for me. I'll knock on every door in Toronto for a job If I need to, It's not like It's forbidden. It pays to be stubborn sometimes. I'm leaving late this year or early next year, or as soon as I feel like it.

Although other countries are also pretty good in their own way nothing hits closer to home than NY. I never managed to lose the home-alone 2 magic.

There's nothing particularly good about the US or Canada compared to Europe, actually, It's pretty irrational to move when you can move to Switzerland or Norway and be 100x better off financially, health-wise, be a million times safer, and probably better off in every way imaginable, but It's just that feeling I can't describe, I love it and I really don't care about healthy Switzerland chilling right next door, where the grass is quite literally greener.

Raaah. Even if it means going to this country, you might as well settle in Quebec (Montreal, Saguenay, Sherbrooke...), the only region with something resembling gastronomy and architecture. :)

calice de tabernak 

When I was little I wanted to live in the biggest city possible.
Now I want to live in the countryside with the most beautiful and pure nature possible.

21 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

When I was little I wanted to live in the biggest city possible.
Now I want to live in the countryside with the most beautiful and pure nature possible.

I live in both places simultaneously… a dream come true! :)

I've done quiet a bit of wild shit when I was younger including criminal shit. I was somehow never caught and I'm grateful for being able to have learned the lesson without any long term consequences to ruin my chances in life, but it was deeefinitively risky!

beep boop