Magnanimous

What would be the best university degree for a science fiction writer?

7 posts in this topic

I know that I've said multiple times on this forum that my Life Purpose will be quite social but my Zone of Genius has writing so I'll be doing that as well. 

I was wondering what degree I would need for Sci Fi, since I could take Physics because of all the futuristic sorts of things, Biology to write about aliens, Engineering for all the tehnology, and what not

Creative writing & Literature

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Magnanimous I like the Physics degree. Especially if you specialize in all the weird shit with like quantum physics, relativity, and so on... Mind bending implications and so on. If you're a true writer, you know what you need to do to grow as a writer. Whereas getting a Physics degree can expand your mind about difficult subject matter that can inform your worldview, philosophy, and writing. 

Additionally, you will never have to worry about having wasted your time on a "useless degree" or whatever they like to call them. You're not selling your soul and doing it for the money only. It's both practical and also intellectually stimulating.

Personally, if I were to go back to school yeah it would be a combo of Philosophy and Physics. 

Physics has nothing to do with good writing.

Science fiction is not science. It's writing. Creative writing is a craft all on its own. Don't beat around the bush. Tackle it head-on if you wish to be successful.

Whatever physics you need you can learn from YT videos. Don't waste time. Get on with the work of writing. Everything else is distractions.

I've taken years of physics, engineering, and math. It's not gonna help you write a damn thing. The beauty of writing is you can start doing it right fucking now. Today. Don't wait for college.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

When you write a story it is more important that the rules of the world you are building are internally consistent rather than true to life. Every sci-fi story has at least one element that is inherently fantastical to a certain degree. Scientific minutia can be interesting but it is ultimately tertiary in the grand scheme of things. You don't have to explain everything.

To expand on concepts in sci-fi that are inherently fantastical, the force in Star Wars is a great example of such. The force is mystical and is more allegorical from a story telling perspective. The force shouldn't be explained because being mysterious makes it more interesting.

Philip K. Dick dropped out. 

Good luck with science it's just an another word we use for prophecy. 

I don't understand why people call it fiction tho...(I guess they really need to preserve the science) Imagine a book where science fictions become the reality... So scary..