Nilsi

What Was Your Favorite Album Release of 2023?

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For me it has to be "Census Designated" by Jane Remover. By far the most emotionally affective music Ive heard all year and probably one of the most devastating emotional experiences Ive ever had from any music ever (which says a lot). 

Instrumentally its a (extremely well executed and cutting edge) mix of shoegaze, emo, metal core and noise rock. The vocal performance on this is insane -- Jane just floats over these slow building instrumentals with her angelic heavily autotuned voice, to a point where its hard to even pinpoint any standout moment on this one hour long project, as its blissful vocal runs ad infinitum.

The themes discussed on this album are quite dark and vulgar and mostly deal with coming off age as a transgender teenager. Following is a little snippet of what to expect lyrically from this:

I envy how big your feelings are
How much you hate your life
Running like a lamb with her legs cut off, I'll act like mine's not on the line
How filthy can I get before you rip me from your chest?
You take the color from my face and I fill your bed with vomit 

Favorite Tracks: Idling Somewhere, Video

Share yours!!!

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Great share! Didnt knew this one, seems very promising from my first impression. But I probably need to be in the right mood to really give it a listen.

These two probably were my albums of the year and both were pretty new territory genre-wise for me. There is something very exciting, innovative and fresh in both of them for me.

22 minutes ago, Cireeric said:

Great share! Didnt knew this one, seems very promising from my first impression. But I probably need to be in the right mood to really give it a listen.

These two probably were my albums of the year and both were pretty new territory genre-wise for me. There is something very exciting, innovative and fresh in both of them for me.

The Jeff Rosenstock project was fun.

100 gecs is too trashy for my taste.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

1 hour ago, Phil King said:

i didnt listen to a ton of music that was released last year but Im a big fan of lana del rey

Big W

One of my most listened artists on Spotify this year.

3 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Big W

One of my most listened artists on Spotify this year.

Imagine going on a date with Lana

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

7 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Imagine going on a date with Lana

Imagine meeting Lana and spitting such terrible game.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

38 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

That one was a miss for me.

On 9.1.2024 at 0:27 PM, Nilsi said:

For me it has to be "Census Designated" by Jane Remover. By far the most emotionally affective music Ive heard all year and probably one of the most devastating emotional experiences Ive ever had from any music ever (which says a lot). 

Instrumentally its a (extremely well executed and cutting edge) mix of shoegaze, emo, metal core and noise rock. The vocal performance on this is insane -- Jane just floats over these slow building instrumentals with her angelic heavily autotuned voice, to a point where its hard to even pinpoint any standout moment on this one hour long project, as its blissful vocal runs ad infinitum.

The themes discussed on this album are quite dark and vulgar and mostly deal with coming off age as a transgender teenager. Following is a little snippet of what to expect lyrically from this:

I envy how big your feelings are
How much you hate your life
Running like a lamb with her legs cut off, I'll act like mine's not on the line
How filthy can I get before you rip me from your chest?
You take the color from my face and I fill your bed with vomit 

Favorite Tracks: Idling Somewhere, Video

Share yours!!!

Just found a great overly cerebral review of this album.

https://quietlight.bandcamp.com/album/fourth-of-july

Quiet Light, another amazing band and performer from the local Austin scene. Highly recommend, and can’t wait to see them live again soon :x