YogiCosmos

You need to transcend the mind

13 posts in this topic

I've noticed the theme of this forum is to use logic to transcend the mind. Sometimes, when the conditions are ripe, it might happen. The right koan, for example, can awaken the Self to itself. Note that the individual person doesn't wake up - it's the silent awareness that wakes up to itself.

But most of the time, philosophizing about non-duality and awakening keeps us only trapped in the mind. 

To transcend, we need to meditate and go into samadhi frequently. Then when the time is right, pop!

:)

Where is the mind located? 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Our mind isn't limited to a specific physical location. It may seem like the mind resides in our head because most of our sensations are concentrated there. But the mind isn't local or confined within our physicality; it's connected to consciousness which pervades our whole being.

What else are you going to deconstruct it with? 

-Deconstruct with silence :)

As for logic, it certainly has its place in the deconstruction. When we use our intellectual faculties to analyze and question the beliefs and assumptions we've held, we can often reveal their lack of substance or validity.

Yet, the mind with its beliefs is part of the surface structures we're seeking to transcend. It's not about rejecting the mind, but rather understanding its role and not being limited by it.

It isn't so much about what we gain or learn--it's more about what we release, unlearn, or let go of. And often, it's about quieting the mind enough so we touch into deeper levels of silence and pure awareness.

Do you think something like chess is bad for awakening because it’s mostly mind?

2 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

Do you think something like chess is bad for awakening because it’s mostly mind?

As long as you believe that one thing is more important than another thing, then sure.

Hint: you’re assuming that awakening is more important than chess.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

6 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

As long as you believe that one thing is more important than another thing, then sure.

Hint: you’re assuming that awakening is more important than chess.

Yea chess can’t get me out of suffering 

What I am seeing is that the mind is fundamental.  the mind must understand, otherwise it will always be trapped. The mind must know how to open itself, and in order to do so it must understand itself, and what the mind really is is your life structure. Completely abandon your structure to be able to open up now, is the goal. In the opening is everything you want, here and now is the glory of pure existence, what we are, but the mind is full of human genetic programming extremely difficult to ignore. The karma. No meditative discipline is going to free us from karma, you have to dance with it, and for that you need a sharp mind

On 12/29/2023 at 11:02 AM, YogiCosmos said:

The right koan, for example, can awaken the Self to itself.

It may have been described that way by some indian yogi or whatever, but there isn't a self that awakens period. Nobody wakes up!

Awakening is quite literally the end of the very character that is trying to attain it. Or rather, it's the recognition that the me character never existed in the first place. It was only an illusion of self. An assumption that was never questioned(is there really a ME)

When there's a character everything needs to fit in it's agenda. It's very picky and needy!!!

The end of the character is simultaneously the recognition that it was never real from the start.

There is no one left feeding energy or giving credibility to these chronic monkey mind thoughts. So the monkey mind tends to die down greatly.

It can be a gradual dropping away of this unreal self illusion. It isn't always a POP like experience.

It's Freedom recognizing that all there ever was, was Freedom. But the unreal self character made it seem like it was somewhere else or missing.

❤️ 

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@VeganAwake by Self, I mean silence or awareness. It wakes up to itself through us. The person doesn’t wake up to silence. Silence awakens from the person.

On 1/1/2024 at 11:38 PM, YogiCosmos said:

@VeganAwake by Self, I mean silence or awareness. It wakes up to itself through us. The person doesn’t wake up to silence. Silence awakens from the person.

Ah gotcha,

Yeah sometimes the sense of self/ego attempts to become silence/awareness which then makes things feel lacking or incomplete.

And round and round it goes!!

❤️ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi