Ayham

Where to Study Abroad as a Person from a Third World Country

9 posts in this topic

Hey, so basically, I am from Iraq, I want to study in a first world country in university, as I am in my last high school year right now, I have been watching a small course on scholarships, but it is very overwhelming, as every country is different and there are lots of complexities involved, and my parents do oppose me studying abroad, so I am on my own.
I am also saving money.

My current plan:

1. apply for scholarships in UK, Germany, and Norway
  2. UK would be the optimal, but it is very competitive, also I have relatives in UK,  but  in case that fails, I have two other countries
  3. Germany has free education, but I am stupid and I don't know German, I don't know if I can make it there, even if I study an English program, I believe it will be difficult from what I researched, there seems to be lots of people failing and dropping out, even though I am extremely well academically, and I would preferably get a scholarship that covers living costs, and scholarships in Germany aren't that hard to get. 
  4. The other option is Norway, also free education for international students, and it a stage green country and it sounds nice, and from what I researched, the experience of international students there is better than the experience of those in Germany, but it seems to be extremely expensive.
  5. In case both fail, I will study first college year here, and focus during it on applying to a scholarship in USA, which is very good, and I also have lots of relatives there, I am not applying to USA right now because I would need to take the SAT exam here, which is in a very far away city and again, I can't do everything on my own because I am still 17, next year I should be able to take it.

I think studying abroad and staying at whatever country I end up studying in is a good idea because it will be a good escape ticket from here, plus, getting a degree is helpful in case my life purpose plan fails, which I will try to actualize during college years.

I am just overwhelmed from my options and I feel incapable and I don't know what to do, I don't like this place and this seems to be the best way to leave.

Can someone who has info on topics like studying abroad, scholarship, or information about countries help me?
I want to know tips to maximize my acceptance chances, and I would like to choose a good first world country that it isn't that hard to make it to, and just any tips and necessary information.

I have an online certification of digital marketing, I know English and Arabic, I have high grades and I am from a gifted school here or whatever it's called, I have pretty high grades.
I have extracurricular activities too.
I guess my interest in philosophy, psychology, spirituality, science, and personal development topics doesn't matter/won't be cared for, in terms of acceptance chances or getting a job there.

17 hours ago, Ayham said:

The other option is Norway, also free education for international students

Since 2022, Norway isn't open to international students.

However, I'm planning to pursue my master's abroad, being from Indonesia. Currently, I'm aiming for Swedish Institute scholarships. If you're considering studying abroad, here are my suggestions:
1. Research the program and check if it suits you.
2. List your interests; it helps, especially if you're young.
3. List the programme that you find interesting and match your interests with the university program. 
4. Follow each university's instructions; they have their own terms.
5. Keep track of the academic calendar for application deadlines.
6. Check YouTube for scholarship tips; many creators share valuable insights, especially those from your country.
7. Take the IELTS or another English certification program as soon as possible.

8. Maybe take the local counselor on studying aboard. This could be your massive help.

Goodluck! 

Edited by Manusia

18 hours ago, Ayham said:

Hey, so basically, I am from Iraq, I want to study in a first world country in university, as I am in my last high school year right now, I have been watching a small course on scholarships, but it is very overwhelming, as every country is different and there are lots of complexities involved, and my parents do oppose me studying abroad, so I am on my own.
I am also saving money.

What are you planning to or wish to major in? Important question. (Is it marketing? Being bilingual could be a selling point, for something like international business.)

More importantly, what are your plans as far as graduate education? Are there any?

Ultimately, you have to think ahead and decide where you will wish to live and work.  If your goal is to work and live in the West somewhere, you'll want to major in something that's valued in the West so you'll have an easier time getting a job and moving there.

Edited by SeaMonster

On 23/12/2023 at 0:04 AM, Manusia said:

Since 2022, Norway isn't open to international students.

I mean Isn't free.

Only in Germany is tuition free for internationals. Tuition in Norway is relatively affordable compared to other countries however.

Scandinavian countries will have high cost of living especially (and bad food culture).

Edited by Basman

I don't know if it's the same for foreigners, but a university year in France costs 170 euros in registration fees. Maybe 200/300 with other fees.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

32 minutes ago, Basman said:

Only in Germany is tuition free for internationals. Tuition in Norway is relatively affordable compared to other countries however.

Scandinavian countries will have high cost of living especially (and bad food culture).

It's true. :)

I also visited Germany and the UK and it was the same story. Even the water is bad, in any store in the country I had to look for the only brand of bottled "stilla" water whereas where I am I have plenty of high-end brands of water at low prices in any supermarket.

snooty*

17 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

It's true. :)

I also visited Germany and the UK and it was the same story. Even the water is bad, in any store in the country I had to look for the only brand of bottled "stilla" water whereas where I am I have plenty of high-end brands of water at low prices in any supermarket.

snooty*

Did you know that Norway is the biggest consumer of frozen pizza per capita in the world. The standard for quality isn't exactly high lol.

That said, Norwegian tap water isn't all bad. It tastes really sweet for some reason. You can drink straight from streams if you are up in the mountains too.

5 minutes ago, Basman said:

Did you know that Norway is the biggest consumer of frozen pizza per capita in the world. The standard for quality isn't exactly high lol.

That said, Norwegian tap water isn't all bad. It tastes really sweet for some reason. You can drink straight from streams if you are up in the mountains too.

Litt sprudlevann til kjøttbollene?

Capture.jpg

full.png