Do Enlightened People Still Have Beliefs?

17 posts in this topic

I have read that enlightenment is about transcending all perspectives? Does this mean that an enlightened person will not harbor any beliefs?

In practice, yes they do. They have many beliefs. But these beliefs are taken less seriously. And some beliefs fall away entirely, like the belief in a separate self.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Yes I have seen this to be true, it's more like a fluidity of no fixed point. One fun thing that I have noticed about this is that people don't know where to put you in their box.

@Em_RZ  You mean people have a hard time making judgements about you?

Beliefs are there to give you a motive to investigate, but never to be taken seriously.
During my journey, in a way my beliefs are taking the form of personal theories and powerful future expectations that feel's like common sense to me due to gathering so much data in my life, but I am not going to bet on anything, I'm not even willing to bet that earth is round even if we know this by heart, and I always remind myself what I know I know, what I don't know I don't know and sometimes what we don't know is worth looking for, it's a matter of how ambitious you are, as long as we don't know something we leave it open to change as we go through our life experience. blind belief will only bring ignorance and it will block the learning process, no matter what your belief is and who documented it.

What about the enlightened Buddhist monks? Buddhism is just another belief system, though it contains many valid points of reality like truth of no-self, etc. They take their beliefs very seriously. Does it mean you can be enlightened and still not see through the illusion of your religious belief?

@Saitama you could generally say that, but it's more in the terms of that they think in a time based way and easily think of me as a stagnated way of being.. and in the meantime I constantly "flow". So occasionally they get really confused.

@Saitama And who would be claiming that? Words are only memories of past audio intake. So claiming the ungraspabel with words would only be an empty statement. I can however say that my thought process is more of a holistic intuitive nature and that I have felt peace for over 3 years now.. and if you feel the urge to point out my use of the word I, then I can inform you that it's only a reused word in a incomplete language, created with ego in mind.

@Em_RZ There's still a lot I'm not  understanding. Does it serve any point for me to keep questioning like this, or should I just stick to looking?

@Saitama  looking/awareness is the only path, but asking can be of use because it can set things in perspective to each other. If you hear a pointing, check it for yourself. Truth is the nothingness that holds the polarities together. Don't try and understand.. sense it.

@Em_RZ When you say sense it, that refers to the looking/awareness process that I need to do instead of conceptualization ,right?

I would like to add, when you are enlightened, you will have a wonderful ability in seeing things and make your matches using intelligence and common sense beyond the logical mind's limitations, when you see all your puzzles amazingly fall into a place, even if you don't have all the puzzle pieces yet, you will be able to see the big picture,  and you will be able to spot these beliefs that don't fit the big picture, false beliefs will fall by themselves, you will say AHAAA with a great relief ;) .

On 2/14/2016 at 5:05 AM, Saitama said:

I have read that enlightenment is about transcending all perspectives? Does this mean that an enlightened person will not harbor any beliefs?

Enlightened people still have beliefs. The difference is that they know it's just beliefs and not truths like most people think.