kamill

I fucked my voice for good

6 posts in this topic

Hey there, it has been a year since I injured my voice. I've been straining it a bit ever since two years ago when my friends and I had rap gigs. After every show, my voice would be broken, but it usually came back to normal after a week. However, exactly a year ago, I sang at a karaoke, and it hasn't fully recovered since. I am also an opera singer student, and I need my voice to fully come back.

I've been depressed for almost all of 2023, and I'm in the saddest place of my life. I've been to three doctors, and they all tell me there's nothing wrong with my vocal cords. I even went to the best doctor in my country, and he said it's perfect. I can't believe him because when I sing, my voice always hurts a little, and it has lost all the top end it once had. I get tired very easily.

I don't know what to do, guys. Is there any hope? I've tried all the exercises on YouTube, like Semi-Occluded Vocal Tract (SOVT), but it doesn't seem to help. Any advice, please?

I don't know about anything "scientific" in this regard, but you could always go alternative (energy healing, meditation, etc.).

"But what effect could there possibly be from that?". Well, the placebo effect is a real effect, and it's actually surprisingly powerful. For example, SSRIs have been consistently shown to be only 2% more effective than placebo pills. "But that is more mental. What about physical ailments?". For example, there have been done placebo studies on knee surgeries where one group was given a fake surgery and the other a real surgery, and both groups experienced an identical improvement in knee pain.

You might think that the improvement was merely pain-related and not an improvement of function, but surely, the patients who had knee pain also had problems with walking (function), but after the fake surgery, their ability to walk improved. Of course, that isn't proof that their knee function was actually improved on a physical level, although that could certainly be the case (you should probably look into the specific studies on that if you want to find out). Regardless, there is certainly hope for you.

On a more extraordinary note, Sadhguru has claimed that he broke his ankle once and magically healed it during meditation. Of course, you don't have to believe that, but at least it serves as a sign that a change in function is possible.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@kamill Maybe your problem is spiritual. Maybe reality is trying to tell You something.

You were straining your voice for a long time and neglected it. You had this gift and used it excessively. I think there is a lesson here. If You could go back in time, would You do things differently? Would You respect your voice more and strain it less?

Or maybe reality is simply trying to steer You on a different path, very blatantly. Consider it. Perhaps your intuition is strongly suggesting You pursue something else.

See, You need your voice to come back, but reality may has different plans for You.

Or maybe not and You need to find a way to resolve it somehow. Perhaps try healing the throat chakra, use binaural beats... If traditional medicine has failed then You could go for alternative methods like Carl mentioned.

Edited by Sincerity

@Sincerity 

I would definitely respect my voice more. 

Reality trying to steer me on a different path. Again !?

I iam just so fed up Iam sorry

On 12/2/2023 at 6:36 PM, Carl-Richard said:

"But what effect could there possibly be from that?". Well, the placebo effect is a real effect, and it's actually surprisingly powerful. For example, SSRIs have been consistently shown to be only 2% more effective than placebo pills.

From my own experience, this is true. I’ve tried many different types of SSRIs as a teenager and young adult, and they all failed for me in the long-run. I’ve been off them completely for 3 years, but I still needed a replacement. 

I’ve since discovered that what works for me is the complete opposite of what I was told growing up. Medical cannabis, ketamine treatments, gender-affirming care… these are all treatments religion, conservative upbringing, and society told me are precisely evil. Yet, paradoxically, doing the opposite is actually GOOD for me!

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Peace of mind starts with mindset, thoughts, and perspective. The master key system really had it right 100 years go. It's your mindset, and not your environment or external stimuli, that ultimately creates your internal mental state, though obviously some people are going to have conditions in this matrix which make them more easy for them to be happy.  Your being depressed about losing your singing voice is a resistance to the present moment. You want reality to be different than what it actually is. That's a form of madness, according to most of the spiritual self help gurus going back thousands of years. ;)

You can either deal with your inner demons and thought stories or allow them to perpetuate your suffering. Nobody can make that choice for you. I will say, make sure you don't have any acid reflux or LPR. Signs that you might include a coated tongue and post nasal drip.  If this is the case, you might want to take PPIs to let your throat heal.

I'll also point out, all the best singers tend to lose parts of their vocal range as they age. That's life. The lead singer of Def Leppard would be an extreme example... he has nowhere near the voice as when that band was in their prime, and lost it quite a long time ago. The drummer in this band played through most of  this band's run with one arm, by the way. Now that's a great example of adapting to what is. You can kind of make that out at 1:36.

Edited by sholomar