DanielF

Games I used to play

7 posts in this topic

I recently finished this book called "Games people play".I assume some people are familiar with it. The book  is illuminating and you can immediately start identifying what games people play in your environment.

However, there is another side to it. At some point I realized what games I used to play and what games I am playing. This realization doesn't come without embarrassment, to be honest.

And then, there this other realization. What games am I still playing  but I am not aware? How can I know??? Will there ever be a truly  or honest "me"?

Should I just try to relax about it and just accept that is just a discovery process of oneself ?

Well, for example, one that is actually described in the book: You are late for a meeting and you try to look in a state of disarray, like you have been running. Basically, trying to send the message "Look how hard I tried to get on time".

Another game described in the book is called the "wooden leg". It is call that way because you can't expect from somebody with a wooden leg to perform certain things. So if you want to avoid doing the dishes, you only have to pretend that you are very clumsy and break something every now and then. What can you expect from a clumsy person like me?

In my case, it was more like a variation of that game. I needed somebody to assure me that I am doing fine. Like, "oh I don't know how to cook, sorry if the food is not good" and I was expecting to be answered "nooo, your food is good! You are doing just fine!". So, my wooden legs were all my insecurities and I was pointing at them so I could get some reassurance from somebody.

That's a great area of self-development to work on.

Mindfulness and radical honesty can help, I think. If you regularly ask yourself the question of "what games do I play?", and contemplate on it, you can make great progress.

On 2023. 10. 08. at 0:18 AM, DanielF said:

Should I just try to relax about it and just accept that is just a discovery process of oneself ?

That's a good way to approach this issue. Don't beat yourself up, because if you're gonna be neurotic about it, you can make it a hell of a lot harder.

First i need to read the book to know exactly what its about, but i can tell you only way to be completely honest is stand behind your words and your actions,so for example you decide you will never in your life smoke ciggaret again, now whatever feeling and mind chatter happens you will stand behind ill never smoke ciggaret again so its your creation+standing on it..

Edited by NoSelfSelf

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

On 08/10/2023 at 3:48 AM, DanielF said:

I recently finished this book called "Games people play".I assume some people are familiar with it. The book  is illuminating and you can immediately start identifying what games people play in your environment.

However, there is another side to it. At some point I realized what games I used to play and what games I am playing. This realization doesn't come without embarrassment, to be honest.

And then, there this other realization. What games am I still playing  but I am not aware? How can I know??? Will there ever be a truly  or honest "me"?

I really hoped this was some kind of video games list when I saw the title!