jdc7733

Every time I work on a hobby/career it goes wrong.

7 posts in this topic

I studied music, lasted about 6 weeks then I changed to art, then I changed to journalism, then I dropped out of college, then I had a cleaning job for 6 years, then I had a psychotic break and had to leave. My music is a work in progress but I can’t decide which songs to record.

8 minutes ago, jdc7733 said:

I studied music, lasted about 6 weeks then I changed to art, then I changed to journalism, then I dropped out of college, then I had a cleaning job for 6 years, then I had a psychotic break and had to leave. My music is a work in progress but I can’t decide which songs to record.

All those are interesting work. Art & Journalism. 

It seems that creative people have a tendency to a chaotic lifestyle. Maybe you have to solve some trauma or change your mindset/paradigms to increase your motivation. I am actually dealing with the same problem but mine is related to PTSD besides being a perfectionist which always leads me to burnout.

Edited by Incognito

@Buck Edwards @Incognito My problem is I don’t consistently want to do anything, so, idk what I’m supposed to do. Writing music is something that recurs though. Maybe I need someone to collaborate with.

@Sabth I dropped out of journalism because I didn’t want to do an interview.

Find the commonality. It may be you are focusing on the topic rather than what you get out of each, rather than what part of it you actually enjoy. Look at the method, or which part of each activity in each you do, even in your spare time, What actual activity in each of these things are you doing over and over and over again? Before you get to the point where you completely lose interest.

For example, I loved planning and design. Whenever that came up in a career, hobby or even me scribbling on a bit of paper as a kid, I enjoyed it, not the topic, or career itself. So I can do that in a fantasy setting, a corporate setting, as a writer, a game designer, an architect, a graphic designer, in a meeting looking for ideas, designing software or systems. I could probably have fun in a corporate environment designing, planning, or improving supply chains when everyone else was bored senseless.

By the way, trying lots of things is the only way many of us get this answer. 
@jdc7733

These tests can help give you ideas or insights.
https://www.16personalities.com/