Twega

Do Degrees Make Public Intellectuals More Credible?

7 posts in this topic

• Sam Harris
  • Noam Chomsky
  • Jordan Peterson

They all inhabit an intellectual terrain different from what they studied academically. Yet all have PhDs/Degrees. Do you think that to get taken seriously as an intellectual, having some kind of science degree helps give credence to your credibility?

Depends on who you ask. In general, yes. Being a professor also helps.

Though nowadays maybe not as much as 50 years ago. But still.

Why do you ask?

Yes, it does.

It's a stupid kind of credibility though, which works on people who like to appeal to authority instead of think for themselves.

But it does help make you credible to the mainstream, just like a white coat can make people believe anyone is a competent medical professional.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

6 hours ago, universe said:

Depends on who you ask. In general, yes. Being a professor also helps.

Though nowadays maybe not as much as 50 years ago. But still.

Why do you ask?

My LP is communicating knowledge/wisdom/insight. I don't like to think of it as competing but you in a way you are with so-called Public Intellectuals. Was just wondering about this question, because I don't have a science degree

Derek, from more plates and more dates, although not a public intellectual per se, has established himself as one of the most trusted and respected sources on stuff related to hormones, TRT, fitness, etc.

He corrected Andrew Huberman on something and Andrew replied in a respectful way and admitted he was wrong, further cementing his legacy as a trusted source of information. There's a lot of lesson to learn from Derek for anyone who wishes to become a teacher/educator without a degree.

It helps but you don't need it.

It's definitely not a primary factor in your ability to spread your message.

Fame is.

Anyone who consistently puts out quality information that people are interested in, can build a large following.

It can take a long time, but it works with or without a PhD.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

On 9/18/2023 at 4:37 AM, Twega said:

Do you think that to get taken seriously as an intellectual, having some kind of science degree helps give credence to your credibility?

I think in todays age, credentials can also be stuff like social proof, accomplishments, accolades, and experiences

On 9/18/2023 at 0:28 PM, Twega said:

There's a lot of lesson to learn from Derek for anyone who wishes to become a teacher/educator without a degree.

Derek is able to be an authority figure on health and fitness because when you look at him, he is obviously in better shape than 99% of the planet. He also has experience with steroids so he is knowledgeable on how they work (I think he did go to college though). 

Leo and other gurus have authority on spiritual matters because theyve invested thousands of hours into meditation, yoga, psychedelics, reading, and raising state of consciousness. 

Dating coaches like Owen Cook have credibility on PUA and attraction because there are videos of him doing it for the past 20 years.

I think to have credibility and authority as a public intellectual, you need to give someone a reason why they should trust you. That can be achieved through degrees or accomplishments like writing a book, having a podcast where you interview intellectuals (Think Tim Ferris and Curt Jaimungal), or achieve success in some field like starting a business or organization (Think Daniel Schmactenberger).

You basically need to have results in life that people want. I think a reason that people like Jordan Peterson is because he is really articulate and clear in his thinking, and people would like to also achieve that sort of clarity in their mind. 

19 hours ago, flowboy said:

Fame is.

Anyone who consistently puts out quality information that people are interested in, can build a large following.

^^^ Would also agree with this. Fame/Social Proof/Celeb status is also big. Honest question, who do you think has more influence on the american population, Mr beast or Joe Biden?