Brandon Nankivell

Understanding linguistics for communicating metaphysics and epistemology

6 posts in this topic

After having discussions about metaphysics and epistemology with a rationalist / materialist who's versed in linguistics, and speaks English as his second language, it has come to my attention that linguistics is important for effective communication.

Not so important when we are discussing who's going to the shops to grab potatoes for dinner.

Do you agree that linguistics is worth investing time and energy into learning?

I'd imagine Leo takes this seriously, given his commitment to doing his best to consider how others will receive his ideas, and what the best way is to communicate them. But I haven't seen this discussed much in the community.

Is there any book or video recommendations you have?

Cheers!

On 9/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, Brandon Nankivell said:

After having discussions about metaphysics and epistemology with a rationalist / materialist who's versed in linguistics, and speaks English as his second language, it has come to my attention that linguistics is important for effective communication.

Not so important when we are discussing who's going to the shops to grab potatoes for dinner.

I'd imagine Leo takes this seriously, given his commitment to doing his best to consider how others will receive his ideas, and what the best way is to communicate them. But I haven't seen this discussed much in the community.

Is there any book or video recommendations you have?

Cheers!

Absolutely. Language and the fundamentals of it are quite interesting.

You might want to take a look at Theory of Computation if you want a strict understanding of language and the mechanics behind it. I still get insights from studying that to this day.

Leo probably has an episode on languages. I don't know when he will release it.

On 9/12/2023 at 0:52 PM, Brandon Nankivell said:

Yeah and even more specifically semantics. I want to dive into semantics, because its interesting and can be really valuable regardless of what you do.

Anything that improves your ability to express  yourself or to understand others and the world better is very valuable imo.

Linguistics??

You mean English.

Yes, English is important if you want to speak in English on nuanced matters.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

What is English? Nothing but a set of lines, curves and symbols. It's basically geometry/map/graphs. 

8 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

What is English? Nothing but a set of lines, curves and symbols. It's basically geometry/map/graphs. 

Is consciousness and also is naiive to say that "is nothing but lines and yada yada

Is something powerfull that can have radical consequences depending how.is used. Is a Sword or knife or tool that can ne used to creativity or to destruction. 

Even if in the Absolute language is useless, is not wise dissmis such a tool and overall language exist so if it is a possibility and is present  is worth to expand and refine its use with wisdom