Sabth

I have an idea.

30 posts in this topic

@Sabth

I don't know anything about your situation, so I'm just writing what comes to mind from what I have seen. Could be that I'm making some assumptions here and there. 

First, it's great that you find your passion, follow it but don't be blind or forget the logical and practical stuff. 
You're talking about making a lot of money with it. I don't know if that is realistic thing and be careful, making a lot of money and following your passion often do not mix. Even if you make it big, the money aspect can be more consuming then holding on to the passion. Maybe approach like this, you follow your passion, if you can make money and have an existence from it, it's already a win. Everything on top is a bonus.

Are you going to travel around all the time. Or travel to a place go back and forward to your home again? What part of the world are you living in and what part of the world do you want to make documentaries of?

Also it takes time to ripen your skills, grow your audience etc. So even if you have the necessary equipment (don't be fooled, it does not have to be expensive btw). Because you don't have savings to rely on, you need some type of income to survive before the pay off of this project comes.

Ok then, now that is sorted out. The project itself.

- Who's is going to be your audience?
- What are you going to film? Culture, nature, animals, people, cities? They have different techniques for getting the best result
- Which platform are you going to use. TikTok style is different from YouTube for example
- What will be the pay-out for a platform
- Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Spread it out over the platforms and also keep in mind that if a platform changes its algorithm it can affect your exposure and views dramatically. Always keep in mind your stil dependent of them.

Also see it as a opportunity to hone your skills. Every new video is a new opportunity to improve. Build your portfolio, you can use in the future if you want to spread your wings elsewhere. Build your network, maybe collab with bigger brands.

For equipment you need basically:
- Decent prosumer camera, can be 2nd hand. Maybe even a good phone with nice camera's can do the trick now a days
- Accessoires, tripods, lights, microphones, etc.
- Drone, not a must but you stated yourself
- Decent multimedia editing focussed laptop
- Fast internet connection, for uploading the big video files
- Don't forget backup solution (3-2-1 rule (nerdy stuff ?))

I'm working in the tourism industry (scuba diving) in the Philippines, Tourism and Documentary making have a big overlap.

I met different kinds of people who had different solutions to making video's. Maybe there is an idea you can use, to generate some income, while you can keep your big project going:
- Making videos for resorts. Most resorts will already have a promotional video, for online or in the lobby. Maybe there outdated, or maybe they changed name or owner (happens a lot). Google some resorts in a particular area you're staying, investigate their online media presence. If their is none or low quality you can offer your services. (This is where a portfolio comes in)
- Promotional videos for tourism branches, Incredible India, More Fun In The Philippines, etc. These are usually bigger projects so will be working with multiple people here.
- Assisting on big documentary projects, this one is really cool. I know several people (in the diving world) who are videographers for National Geographic or assisting for these kind of project.

You can use either combination to make some money so you can work on your own project. Don't forget the invaluable skill you will learn working in diverse areas. Being in this world, meeting people creating new opportunities, it's awesome.

The first time I went to Philippines I met a guy, who just rented a cabin at the beach and rented scuba tanks and went diving a shooting every day to work on his video project. Granted he had some money to spare on this.

I tot most hand phone contains multiple camera? The camera may not be the best but it will suffice for the first few videos at least.

Edited by hyruga

40 minutes ago, hyruga said:

I tot most hand phone contains multiple camera? The camera may not be the best but it will suffice for the first few videos at least.

It won't suffice. I had been a few years with a phone camera and it is like night and days compared to a real camera. 

2 hours ago, OmniNaut said:

@Sabth

I don't know anything about your situation, so I'm just writing what comes to mind from what I have seen. Could be that I'm making some assumptions here and there. 

First, it's great that you find your passion, follow it but don't be blind or forget the logical and practical stuff. 
You're talking about making a lot of money with it. I don't know if that is realistic thing and be careful, making a lot of money and following your passion often do not mix. Even if you make it big, the money aspect can be more consuming then holding on to the passion. Maybe approach like this, you follow your passion, if you can make money and have an existence from it, it's already a win. Everything on top is a bonus.

Are you going to travel around all the time. Or travel to a place go back and forward to your home again? What part of the world are you living in and what part of the world do you want to make documentaries of?

Also it takes time to ripen your skills, grow your audience etc. So even if you have the necessary equipment (don't be fooled, it does not have to be expensive btw). Because you don't have savings to rely on, you need some type of income to survive before the pay off of this project comes.

Ok then, now that is sorted out. The project itself.

- Who's is going to be your audience?
- What are you going to film? Culture, nature, animals, people, cities? They have different techniques for getting the best result
- Which platform are you going to use. TikTok style is different from YouTube for example
- What will be the pay-out for a platform
- Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Spread it out over the platforms and also keep in mind that if a platform changes its algorithm it can affect your exposure and views dramatically. Always keep in mind your stil dependent of them.

Also see it as a opportunity to hone your skills. Every new video is a new opportunity to improve. Build your portfolio, you can use in the future if you want to spread your wings elsewhere. Build your network, maybe collab with bigger brands.

For equipment you need basically:
- Decent prosumer camera, can be 2nd hand. Maybe even a good phone with nice camera's can do the trick now a days
- Accessoires, tripods, lights, microphones, etc.
- Drone, not a must but you stated yourself
- Decent multimedia editing focussed laptop
- Fast internet connection, for uploading the big video files
- Don't forget backup solution (3-2-1 rule (nerdy stuff ?))

I'm working in the tourism industry (scuba diving) in the Philippines, Tourism and Documentary making have a big overlap.

I met different kinds of people who had different solutions to making video's. Maybe there is an idea you can use, to generate some income, while you can keep your big project going:
- Making videos for resorts. Most resorts will already have a promotional video, for online or in the lobby. Maybe there outdated, or maybe they changed name or owner (happens a lot). Google some resorts in a particular area you're staying, investigate their online media presence. If their is none or low quality you can offer your services. (This is where a portfolio comes in)
- Promotional videos for tourism branches, Incredible India, More Fun In The Philippines, etc. These are usually bigger projects so will be working with multiple people here.
- Assisting on big documentary projects, this one is really cool. I know several people (in the diving world) who are videographers for National Geographic or assisting for these kind of project.

You can use either combination to make some money so you can work on your own project. Don't forget the invaluable skill you will learn working in diverse areas. Being in this world, meeting people creating new opportunities, it's awesome.

The first time I went to Philippines I met a guy, who just rented a cabin at the beach and rented scuba tanks and went diving a shooting every day to work on his video project. Granted he had some money to spare on this.

First and foremost, I will make something that I love. Everything. 

The type of video, the storyline/script/ the aesthetics . It has to be something that I find pleasing. And like. So it's better if everything was private. Done privately. With my own money or my parents so there is no pressure. I can only create something when it's totally free, no pressure. Something like just editing my travel video. If I like it, then it would be great for others. Otherwise I couldn't complete my task.. 

So I will go to the places that I like (at the moment, I don't even had many places in mind it was just one, place that I want to explore. ) and I will take a long time to do the post editing process. After the footage was done I will go back to my home country and will take a long time to do the post production/editing process. 

It will be totally according to my taste and how I wanna convey the story. What's important was that I took the pictures and the videos necessary. The shooting process. Once I have explored every places the post production will take a long time. And that will be the fun part. After I've explored everything. And I'm talking about a month or more at one place. 

After "the project that I like " had becomes successful, (completed) only then I could do it professionally, for others. If they like my style or my video . (Because I don't trust that people would like my colour. ) and what if I make a video that is totally silly? You know.. because I tend to choose my own music too. 

If they want something like a conventional promo video , like a niche travel vid , I may not be able to do that. We don't know.  

And I work best with my old camera. But that camera is broken and I don't know if it's still available in the market. When I tried the newer versions I had a hard time learning those cameras. So I need to get used to a camera first and a drone. It would take a while before I could be a pro at it. (I want to buy that old camera over and over again).. 

Actually it's not really expensive the things I wanna do and the tools that I'm using. But I need to work first. Or take a loan (but my mom said you will have to pay back more than what you take). It will be hard. So I'm thinking again. 

I want complete freedom in my project. To do as I wishes. Only then , there will be no pressure or expectation. 

I want to make my own photo book too. But this will take a long time. To see what's suitable. 

And I need people to foolproof me so that I don't get too carried away~

11 minutes ago, Sabth said:

First and foremost, I will make something that I love. Everything. 

The type of video, the storyline/script/ the aesthetics . It has to be something that I find pleasing. And like. So it's better if everything was private. Done privately. With my own money or my parents so there is no pressure. I can only create something when it's totally free, no pressure. Something like just editing my travel video. If I like it, then it would be great for others. Otherwise I couldn't complete my task.. 

So I will go to the places that I like (at the moment, I don't even had many places in mind it was just one, place that I want to explore. ) and I will take a long time to do the post editing process. After the footage was done I will go back to my home country and will take a long time to do the post production/editing process. 

It will be totally according to my taste and how I wanna convey the story. What's important was that I took the pictures and the videos necessary. The shooting process. Once I have explored every places the post production will take a long time. And that will be the fun part. After I've explored everything. And I'm talking about a month or more at one place. 

After "the project that I like " had becomes successful, (completed) only then I could do it professionally, for others. If they like my style or my video . (Because I don't trust that people would like my colour. ) and what if I make a video that is totally silly? You know.. because I tend to choose my own music too. 

If they want something like a conventional promo video , like a niche travel vid , I may not be able to do that. We don't know.  

And I work best with my old camera. But that camera is broken and I don't know if it's still available in the market. When I tried the newer versions I had a hard time learning those cameras. So I need to get used to a camera first and a drone. It would take a while before I could be a pro at it. (I want to buy that old camera over and over again).. 

Actually it's not really expensive the things I wanna do and the tools that I'm using. But I need to work first. Or take a loan (but my mom said you will have to pay back more than what you take). It will be hard. So I'm thinking again. 

I want complete freedom in my project. To do as I wishes. Only then , there will be no pressure or expectation. 

I want to make my own photo book too. But this will take a long time. To see what's suitable. 

And I need people to foolproof me so that I don't get too carried away~

Good you have got your passion sorted out. ? 

But in your opening post you mention making money of it 7 times. So I'm not sure what you really want here. You want to work on a passionate project for a year or so, when you finish you can be proud of for yourself?

Or you want to make money?

Passion and making money can be contradictory to each other. If you want to make money of it, sometimes you have to make decisions that can have a negative effect on the passion.

Let's put it differently. How can you make the ultimate passion project for yourself if you put the pressure of making money of it? It's a pressure you put on yourself then, so in the end you can't put ultimate passion into it, because in the back of your mind you want to make money of it.

42 minutes ago, Sabth said:

It won't suffice. I had been a few years with a phone camera and it is like night and days compared to a real camera. 

If your objective is to start a social media channel like youtube, then you should start without loaning so much money for a camera. Everything else is just your monster coming out with excuses not to do them. If you are an expert in photography, you should also have figured out some tricks to use on phone camera even if it's limited.

1 hour ago, OmniNaut said:

Good you have got your passion sorted out. ? 

But in your opening post you mention making money of it 7 times. So I'm not sure what you really want here. You want to work on a passionate project for a year or so, when you finish you can be proud of for yourself?

Or you want to make money?

Passion and making money can be contradictory to each other. If you want to make money of it, sometimes you have to make decisions that can have a negative effect on the passion.

Let's put it differently. How can you make the ultimate passion project for yourself if you put the pressure of making money of it? It's a pressure you put on yourself then, so in the end you can't put ultimate passion into it, because in the back of your mind you want to make money of it.

I want to make money. But after I've made that post, I watch other YouTubers with million views but the money that they make, are not much. So I can't be sure of it. 

The things that I want to buy are expensive. Just covering those costs would be enough for me. But in my life, I never had profit yet. So I'm afraid that I wouldn't make it. And where do I get the money? If I could make a loan, that would be okay and if my profit covered those costs , that would be enough for me. Do you think I could covered my costs? 

And I don't know how loan works. I'm just saying If.. 

I probably would hv to work first , before I can buy these stuff.. 

I need about 5300$ to do these stuff. Or maybe more (?) Idk~

Yay my mom said she could buy me a camera and a new laptop. But I wanna make everything using my own money so it doesn't mixed.?

If this is something that you want to pursue, then go for it man. You will figure out all of the details later. I can tell that this excites you to your core. That means that you are onto something special. Just get out there and start finding a way to make it work, things will fall into place if you show the universe that you are serious about this. 

Also, I wouldn't be too proud to not use your mom's help, she is happy to help and it will make her feel good. 

If you think you can do it, do it. I been traveling in siciliy the last few weeks. Before i went here i tried to watch videos on what to see and where to live. Except a few videos, they where all pretty bad. Usually more info about the person then the place… 

I would love to see a proper travel documentary on youtube regarding my upcoming holidays.

If I were to make a loan I would need to hv an income of $745 first. Per month. I don't know how I would be able to focus on my work, and this at the same time

I can't even make a loan yet. Because I need to have a salary of $740 to be eligible for loan.