vindicated erudite

Pronatalism and Fertility Collapse.

5 posts in this topic

Here's an exciting rabbit hole I've delved into: the movement of pronatalism. 

TL;DR: The premise is that fertility rates are falling worldwide. This will lead to the collapse of civilisation if people do not increase the amount of children they have. 

From my research, Simone and Malcolm's narrative seems to be consistent. However, their feature on the Aporia podcast is concerning since that podcast is run by racists. 

I would love to hear what people think about this issue...

ideally havjng kids are an act of love and creativity, not some human obligation for survival, 

don’t worry about survival unless you know why you’re surviving. give yourself a reason to, don’t just say you must. 

this is exactly what happens with kids and probably the same reason fertility rates are declining, people feel like they need to survive and their kids need to survive and if they can’t afford to have a kid they won’t.

in the words of meta sage, life is tremendously short, work on yourself, you aren’t so developed, (including myself in this statement). Having kids is like passing the buck onto them, you want them to be better than you were, well why can’t you just improve yourself?

im not against it but at the best it’s a medium to show compassion and love for reality and at worst they are a distraction from working on yourself.

there is a reason why the most spirituality advanced humans are often single and without children, contemplate this.

the way humans live right now, by the vast majority we don’t live harmoniously with nature and so in my opinion it’s unwise to bring a child into the world.

but I am totally against anti Natalism and forcing people to be single although I am for limits to the amount of children people can have until we fix our problem with cohesion with nature.

imo having kids has become too much of a normie act and is too often not thought out and respected as the completely life changing event, people just try to wing being parents without dedicating their lives to being a good parent and honestly this disgusts me and is the very reason for a lot of societal dysfunction.

Edited by Gidiot

5 hours ago, Gidiot said:

the way humans live right now, by the vast majority we don’t live harmoniously with nature and so in my opinion it’s unwise to bring a child into the world.

while i agree with the other things you have said, this here I don't think is an appropriate reason to justify not having a child. Because where would you draw the line for civilization to be wise enough to bring a child into the world? Whether the child grows up to be a happy human being or not is largely dependent on your upbringing and how much evolution you are able to provide to the child. How well can you equip your child to live happily in the upcoming world? That's your responsibility, you can't blame the world too much.

I agree with everything else you have said though. Having a child could take away a lot from your spiritual growth if that's not part of your spirituality (in rare cases).

It's a consequence of higher living standards.

However, more people means more envionmental pressures. Half of all land is used for agriculture worldwide. It's simplistic to say "we need more people!" Yes, we do to some extent but there is only a certain amount of space to accommodate said people.