Juan

Feels good to quit your job!

11 posts in this topic

I quitted the job I was at, they had me as a part time cashier and thought it wasn’t worth it if I want to get a car asap and other goals. The first day of quitting might feel weird depending your relationship with your job but the next day (today) I feel really pump now that I have a white canvas to comeback and keep making art, I was already doing it while working but idk, I felt I wasn’t doing my top notch best, maybe there is a psychology behind that.

I purchased some graphic designs courses so will see how it goes, I really wanna make a living out of my art once it for all, but idk how long I will survive with the money I have currently so, will give it a week or so before start looking for another better job. Maybe I should had saved more money so I don’t get worry for pay my rent for a while but it’s fine, I’m trying my best to follow my intuition and today it just feels like a good day. :) 

If anyone want to check out what I do, here is my portfolio: 

https://dribbble.com/Artejusino/shots

Edited by Juan

@Juan Some simple math of your expenses vs savings will let you know how long your savings will last.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

40 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Juan Some simple math of your expenses vs savings will let you know how long your savings will last.

I know that! I know how long I will last, but sometimes I even go the extra mile without having money just to see if a art gig appears but, I won’t let that happen this time, it feels frustrating when you have zero dollar.

On 09/08/2023 at 2:32 PM, Juan said:

ut idk how long I will survive with the money I have currently so, will give it a week or so before start looking for another better job

Are you sure you've thought this through? "Go and see what happens" is not the best strategy where personal finances are concerned, you might be sawing of the branch you're sitting on right now. 

I applaud you for brave decision but quitting job and going soul searching is good if you have at least 6-12 month worth of savings (meaning at your current pace of lifestyle, without tightening the belt, you won't go broke for 6-12 mo). Anything less than that is a risky strategy. 

Especially if you are going to be investing into a transitional career (which is something that may take 1-3 years+ before you make your first dollar). 

Not here to burst a bubble or make you depressed or anything - just drawing a realistic economical model. 

Ofcourse you'll probably be making savings by not needing to commute and eat out so that's good as long as you can adjust the strategy at home for maximal savings. 

Perhaps the ideal way to go around this would be to find a different job, similarly paid but requiring less effort so that you can put more time in your new thing. You know, some ticketing job in a big telecomms company where you don't work more than you work - or something like that. 

Ignore if this doesn't resonate 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 what’s hard about 6-12 months in savings is that… if you are broke chances are that will take years of decades to save up if you don’t have a high income.

◭"89"

37 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

what’s hard about 6-12 months in savings is that… if you are broke chances are that will take years of decades to save up if you don’t have a high income.

That's true. 

It's always important to honestly evaluate once spending and look at different spend categories - there are usually areas that can be managed more effectively - food, clothing & transport being some of them.

But yes, for anyone struggling with finances, making a year worth of savings might be a struggle - in such case it might be better to work some sort of job , at least part time and work on your own project alongside - that's my situation at the moment. 

I'm all for passion, life purpose and freedom but unless one is supported by parents, I don't know how to make it work. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 The reality is, it takes years and decades to make a beautiful life. Especially when you try to do it and you are already 20+ years old. It'll take years to live off it. But, you can make a start now with learning, etcc. Many people will fail and live miserable shitty lives. But, you can succeed. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Michael569 Thanks, I did not planned well, not even to pay the rent next month, I got too involved in my negative talk and emotions towards the job I was. I’m aware that shit will hit the fan when I need to keep paying rent so yeah, I’m gonna look out a job asap this week and hopefully it is a full time. The issue is that I consider myself picky with getting jobs because, if it’s not something I consume, I don’t work on it but I guess I gotta modify that belief in order to survive for now. 

I have a gig right now as a freelance so, will do my best to complete it so I can receive new commissions. 

You should try making money using your primary skill: graphic design, also probably it is a good idea to be up to date with AI tools in this area, as this will greatly excel your productivity. Staying without a job and money income flow is a no - no.

Chasing the money is where the real deal is, that is where you will enhance your skills and you will create impact.