BojackHorseman

Making money from drawing or music on Fiverr and similar sites

8 posts in this topic

So I used to do this a bit with music and I started making a few tiny sales, but that was enough for me to be happy, just the fact that somebody wanted to pay me for it back in the day (low self esteem, anxiety, etc)

At some point I stopped for various reasons, now thinking about getting back into it, but honestly, the amount of people wanting to pay for illustrations or music is just gonna go down a lot, right? With AI.

Not sure if it's worth the hustle or doing fast, poorly paid art jobs at this point.

Maybe I should just keep art as a personal thing?

Music is still possible as those from AI sound hideous and fake. Art is harder. Good luck.

Edited by hyruga

What kind of music jobs did you do? Was it composing  soundtracks or recording an instrument or something else?
I've tried some music-related freelancing before, but only got some money transcribing music sheet.
Didn't put much effort and thought into everything though, probably could've done better 

Do others still make money drawing?

If yes, then it is still possible.

You have to take responsibility and own whatever you want to do.

5 hours ago, T_i_m said:

What kind of music jobs did you do? Was it composing  soundtracks or recording an instrument or something else?
I've tried some music-related freelancing before, but only got some money transcribing music sheet.
Didn't put much effort and thought into everything though, probably could've done better 

Just composing (aimed at video games and movies, well I just did a trailer in movies case but anyway)
I have absolutely no music theory, I just do everything by ear and play drums, and a but of piano and guitar/bass but I'm really baby level
Look if you can find a niche maybe, really avoid super popular stuff like hip hop beats, unless it's your passion
Take a look at how new sellers that already did a few sales set up their profile and what prices they're at (don't necessarily go for the lowest of the lowest prices, but keep in mind you can't aim for super high prices when you have no reputation ; just make wahtever cheap work first to gather ratings and contacts, and then go up from here
You cna also do unpaid work like Game jams on itch.io if you want to build a portfolio and have no paid work atm

8 hours ago, hyruga said:

Music is still possible as those from AI sound hideous and fake. Art is harder. Good luck.

For now...honestly I'm expecting full movies in less than 10 years ? At least short movies. And music will certainly get decent too. Most people won't care that there's no heart or personality in it. It's already the case with some human made mainstream products, so...

3 hours ago, universe said:

Do others still make money drawing?

If yes, then it is still possible.

You have to take responsibility and own whatever you want to do.

I guess it's still a thing right now yes...might as well set up my page again

21 hours ago, BojackHorseman said:

You cna also do unpaid work like Game jams on itch.io if you want to build a portfolio and have no paid work atm

Sounds like fun, thanks!

I've tried composing movie-soundtrack-like music once before. 
Here, I've got 60 seconds of it. I don't know if it's good enough  or not really. Would people be willing to use this in their art?

Edited by T_i_m

On 26/07/2023 at 0:18 AM, T_i_m said:

Sounds like fun, thanks!

I've tried composing movie-soundtrack-like music once before. 
Here, I've got 60 seconds of it. I don't know if it's good enough  or not really. Would people be willing to use this in their art?

Sounds good enough to me (I'd change some things but it's your music not mine)

But don't ask me. Go out there and offer your music to people who need it. Even if you gotta start with very low-level projects, just join a team for a game jam, being part of a finished project is satisfying and will make you level up.

Or you can just start setting up gigs on Fiverr. Or both ?

@BojackHorseman Thanks for the advice. I might do that. I've always had that little plan/desire to work on movie music or games someday. 

On 25.07.2023 at 4:13 AM, BojackHorseman said:

And music will certainly get decent too. Most people won't care that there's no heart or personality in it. It's already the case with some human made mainstream products, so...

sad but true