DefinitelyNotARobot

How much influence do my beliefs have over reality?

17 posts in this topic

The infinity of mind would obviously be capable of manifesting itself as reality in which the bible was real and there was a bearded old man in the clouds who'd judge you for your sins and send you to heaven or hell after death and so on. If that was the reality I found myself in, would there be anything I could do to change it? Is it possible for my "human" beliefs to have any sort of influence on what kind of reality I find myself in? Like if I was a Chistian, could I literally worry myself into a biblical hell, or wish myself into the biblical heaven? 

The question isn't about religion or Christianity or heaven and hell, they're just examples to help me illustrate my question.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

The infinity of mind would obviously be capable of manifesting itself as reality in which the bible was real and there was a bearded old man in the clouds who'd judge you for your sins and send you to heaven or hell after death and so on.

You don’t need a bible to realize that.

I was stroking my beard and lying down on my cloud… I mean, bed while reading this

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Unchecked beliefs and or societal conditioning seem to create an illusory-like experience of reality, often referred to as the Matrix or dream story.

We tend to superimpose these beliefs onto reality and then operate from that conditioned perspective.

Any influence we think we may have on reality is just part of the dream story experience.

Apparent reality is actually nothing appearing to be a lot of somethings!

♥ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@VeganAwake I'm not necessitating direct, personal influence over reality, I'm trying to figure out how the beliefs that are being held intertwine with the whole of reality. How much of an influence can beliefs have? Is there a difference between a belief like "I can't find love" and "I can't walk through walls" and what is the difference? One, at least on a human level, appears to be a limiting belief which could be transcended with enough maturity, allowing you to go from being unable to find love to finding a love deeper than anything anyone has ever known, while the other seems to be unchangeable, at least that is what most people would believe. They believe that no amount of questioning and introspection would allow you to walk through a wall, or create 10000 dollars from nothing. So my question is more concerned with the structure and functionality of belief and what differentiates one belief from another. If you stop believing that you're unlovable reality will actually reflect that back to you by loving you more deeply, but if you stop believing that you can't walk through walls reality won't necessarily reflect that back to you and allow you to actually walk through walls. At least that is what I believe according to my experiences, maybe I will be proven wrong and someone will actually end up walking through a wall.

beep boop

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

someone will actually end up walking through a wall.

Play some Tears of the Kingdom. You’ll actually be diving through walls a bunch.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

1 hour ago, Yimpa said:

You’ll actually be diving through walls a bunch.

Fair enough lol

beep boop

18 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

The infinity of mind would obviously be capable of manifesting itself as reality in which the bible was real and there was a bearded old man in the clouds who'd judge you for your sins and send you to heaven or hell after death and so on. If that was the reality I found myself in, would there be anything I could do to change it? Is it possible for my "human" beliefs to have any sort of influence on what kind of reality I find myself in? Like if I was a Chistian, could I literally worry myself into a biblical hell, or wish myself into the biblical heaven? 

The question isn't about religion or Christianity or heaven and hell, they're just examples to help me illustrate my question.

Very good question.? 

You see ..this depends on whether reality is mental or physical . Whether it is subjective or objective.  If reality Is a creation of your mind as per Berkeley's idealism ..then yeah..what you believe affects your reality. Have you heard of law of attraction?  Whatever thoughts you feed into your mind becomes true .

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

5 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Whatever thoughts you feed into your mind becomes true .

Yep, but you also don’t have to be a slave to your own thoughts when thoughts are seen clearly for what they actually are.

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

Yep, but you also don’t have to be a slave to your own thoughts when thoughts are seen clearly for what they actually are.

Nobody said you should be a slave to your thoughts. In fact I'm suggesting the opposite ..to take full responsibility of how you think..because what you think creates your reality literally.  Trust me ..I'm experiencing huge synchronised coincidences after paying extra attention to my thoughts .know what thoughts are helpful and delve deeper into them. And the unhelpful ones belong to the garbage basket.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

16 minutes ago, Someone here said:

You see ..this depends on whether reality is mental or physical

But even if it was mental there could still be a possibility that there are mechanisms in place preventing you from accessing certain aspects of reality. Imagine deconstructing your reality to a point where you broke the barrier between "mind" and "body" allowing you to put all your focus on consciously growing an individual hair on your arm. That'd already be an achievement in itself and I haven't heard of anyone capable of such a feat. And that's just the human body. Imagine actually trying to access a state in which you can alter the laws of physics themselves. That'd would take a significant amount of extra deconstruction. So it's not just about whether reality is physical or mental, but also (if mental) the relationship between the universal mind and your apparent human mind, or dream and dreamer.

beep boop

Just now, Someone here said:

And the unhelpful ones belong to the garbage basket.

Ah, yes, more food for the rats!

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

So it's not just about whether reality is physical or mental, but also (if mental) the relationship between the universal mind and your apparent human mind, or dream and dreamer.

@Yimpa That's actually an interesting clip. It's something I've been contemplating for the last of month or so. I like to just sit there and look at two objects and observe how I believe them to be different. What I stumbled upon so far is that you can't point to any actual difference between any two objects, you can only describe appearances/their relative properties, but never the actual difference. You can describe one object as red and the other as yellow, or one as red and the other as not red, but no matter how you put it, you're only ever describing the objects themselves, not the difference.

beep boop

@DefinitelyNotARobot You’re describing GOD!

The imagination of a child is more profound than most scientists, hehe.

Reality is the result of our collective web of beliefs as a human collective consciousness. The key term to realize here is Consensus Reality.

It's beliefs all the way up. 

It's beliefs all the way down.

Your beliefs are imeshed in what everyone around you believes.

We live in the Consensus Reality we co-created over centuries of self-reckoning. We find ourselves coming out of a quite materialistic age where people worship the "material world" as a God. But there is no material world outside of us, our own imagination.

Edited by tuku747

Just now, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

That's definitely a possibility, but it's possibly also just a belief.

It’s like asking the chicken itself why it crossed the road.