Epikur

People who hate the cold need it the most

14 posts in this topic

Dr. Susanna Søberg: How to Use Cold & Heat Exposure to Improve Your Health | Huberman Lab Podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWthnAHcZTw
Joe Rogan doing ice bath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zaOUX ... ljZSBiYXRo
Goggins, Joe Rogan on ice bath

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FM_JioW3X5Y
Joe Rogan new Ice Bath study Testosterone boost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkgMgUX2SkY
Joe Rogan: Rick Rubin takes 30 MINUTE ICE BATHS!? - It changed his life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUHhSZy8HbM
Joe & Andrew Huberman: Cold Exposure and the SØberg Principle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oatsxK5Q_cw#
Dr Andrew Huberman with Jocko Willink: Exercise & Cold Exposure | HLE

Bullshit

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Epikur I guess it could be a useful way of getting someone out of dissociation, or a way of training courage as a habit.

However, overall, I really see it generally as a distraction from doing deep inner work.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

10 minutes ago, Ulax said:

However, overall, I really see it generally as a distraction from doing deep inner work.

How is doing a 1 minute cold plunge a few times a week a distraction from deep inner work? The physical benefits are quite astounding. It just makes sense to do it + you feel like a million bucks every time

41 minutes ago, VoidJumper said:

How is doing a 1 minute cold plunge a few times a week a distraction from deep inner work? The physical benefits are quite astounding. It just makes sense to do it + you feel like a million bucks every time

@VoidJumper Because the way I think many who use these sorts of practices actually need to do things like depth psychotherapy or deep meditation. Things which change one's unconscious dynamics. However, instead of doing that they do things like cold showers, which don't change those dynamics.

I don't have anything against cold shower practice per se. Its just problematic to me when used in the place of working with unconscious dynamics.

Be-Do-Have

1 hour ago, Ulax said:

However, overall, I really see it generally as a distraction from doing deep inner work

if you do deep inner work  you might get to a point where you WANT to go into cold 

2 hours ago, Ulax said:

@VoidJumper Because the way I think many who use these sorts of practices actually need to do things like depth psychotherapy or deep meditation. Things which change one's unconscious dynamics. However, instead of doing that they do things like cold showers, which don't change those dynamics.

I don't have anything against cold shower practice per se. Its just problematic to me when used in the place of working with unconscious dynamics.

I would take anything that could help me. For some people it might give them the extra energy they need to be able start doing deeper work. Or they might get addicted to feeling good and want to find ways how they can feel even better e.g. deeper work. You just can't generalize like that. 

"There's people out there that will complain about something and find an excuse why it's not beneficial. And the reason for that excuse is not that there is no data, the reason for that excuse is coming up with some sort of excuse for themselves, that's what that is."

7 hours ago, VoidJumper said:

"There's people out there that will complain about something and find an excuse why it's not beneficial. And the reason for that excuse is not that there is no data, the reason for that excuse is coming up with some sort of excuse for themselves, that's what that is."

Specially when most spiritual enthusiasts are doing spiritual and intellectual bypassing. They don't seem to be very healthy too. You got to prove it. Bullshido is everywhere. When I was younger I used to believe in iron but now I am fine with bodyweight training. I think the cold is a cult I think I can believe in. It changed the lives of millions of people it seems. 

The cold is the best teacher some say and it is not too expensive. Hot exposure should be done also btw.

Who does not want to be able to be so fit to climb highest mountains naked and do marathons in a desert without water?

Edit 1

I like how Joe gave Huby shit because Huby had his water at 50F. Joe virtually slapped him.

Edited by Epikur

I did a Wim Hof ice bath twice.  That was enough for me.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

14 hours ago, VoidJumper said:

I would take anything that could help me. For some people it might give them the extra energy they need to be able start doing deeper work. Or they might get addicted to feeling good and want to find ways how they can feel even better e.g. deeper work. You just can't generalize like that. 

@VoidJumper Sure. My criticism is only that it is used as a distraction from deep inner work. If its not used as a distraction from deep inner work then I have no criticism.

But I think you make a valid point about the getting addicted to feeling good and explore deep inner work as a further means of doing so. But I still doubt whether that is common. I guess Ayahuasca is the most common deep inner work people into cold showers might explore.

Part of why I'm persuaded to me point of view is hearing about people, both online and in person, who go into self development quite hardcore. But it  turns out they had some deep trauma from their past, which they are sort of papering over with things like cold showers, whim hoff, pick up etc. For example, Tim Ferris. Myself as well.

Be-Do-Have