Tudo

How to deal with racist/ xenophobic people ?

6 posts in this topic

These days I've been seeing  A LOT( really a lot)  of racist and xenophobic stuff from portuguese people towards brazilians on social media and  on the news, and this make really angry specially beacuse Portugal stole my country for centuries, slaved millions of africans and after all this, they still treat us as trash.

Edited by Tudo

Damn sorry for that man, I also experience racism from time to time too 

i have no advice besides changing your sources of media. If it's getting overwhelming you can curate your social media to mostly positive stuff. I think overtime you get acclimated to more positive sources 

Also mindfulness meditation helps me personally for dealing with emotions 

Edited by Jacob Morres

It's similar with black people in America. They were forced to go there and forced to make America rich. Then they were treated like shit for decades after. Makes no sense.

Like Leo says, societies and social groups are breeding grounds for delusional group think and that's what you are looking at. 

Cut out the news and social media, then you won’t see it anymore.  I am sure the 200+ year old Brazilians who got their county back from mean old Portugal are no longer holding a grudge. They are just mad they can’t make churrasco like you guys. Get over it bro, build your life and relax.

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

On 6/21/2023 at 7:41 PM, Tudo said:

These days I've been seeing  A LOT( really a lot)  of racist and xenophobic stuff from portuguese people towards brazilians on social media and  on the news, and this make really angry specially beacuse Portugal stole my country for centuries, slaved millions of africans and after all this, they still treat us as trash.

How do you deal with racist and xenophobic  people?  You don't. At least I don't unless they're a direct threat to me or my family. All you can do is try to educate other people who'll listen. These are ignorant and miserable people for the most part. Think about where your life has to be to take the time and effort to shit talk about other groups of people online all day.