PureExp

Common Myths About Enlightenment

9 posts in this topic

good stuff.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

This really blows apart tons of spiritual enlightenment material that is out there.  Does anyone find this shocking to read?

Examine what you believe to be impossible, and then change your beliefs.

James is generally a great teacher, but keep in mind that he's not out to seek a cosmopolitan understanding of all the paths. He's committed to teaching a very strict traditional Advaita Vedanta path. Which means he will throw many other teachings under the bus.

Whenever some criticizes a nondual teaching, be very cautious about how they define their terms. Often, the differences are merely terminological and superficial. For example, when someone says "ego death" you have to understand that they're actually referring to by that phrase. Likewise with "being in the NOW". I've noticed some of James' criticisms are silly. It's very easy to make a strawman out of other teachings if one isn't careful.

That said, some of his criticisms are valid and helpful to keep in mind.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I read the 1st part only, No Mind' Had a bit of an awakening into ever present self.

I agree, there are as many meanings of the word "enlightenment" as there are teachers and traditions.

However, my personal quest shows me that every great master finally says that it is something really simple and underwhelming. Its so simple that people generally do not appreciate it. That's just Ego longing for fancy experiences, it has formed fantastic notions about what it is. It is just knowing and being the consciousness (Self). Its simpler than breathing :)

Here is a video from another teacher I like. It just popped up in my stream. You can find more teachings on what that word means, especially Rupert Spira explains it nicely.

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge

@Leo Gura What do you think about his contention that reality is very orderly and logical? Do you think that view stems from a lack of exposure to other paths of insight?

Quote from James Swartz

"From a non-dual perspective this theory proves false since there is no time in a non-dual reality" 

Reason this way you can also say:

"From a non-dual perspective every thing proves false since there is nothing in a non-dual-reality"

Which btw also proves all his texts false ;)