Husseinisdoingfine

I want to start an online business, which programming language should I use?

12 posts in this topic

Greetings.

I finished the life purpose course and now I want to move on and actualize it. I want to start an online business.

I asked a friend which programming language I should do for such a thing, and he said JavaScript. Is he correct?

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

@Husseinisdoingfine HTML, CSS, Javascript, Bootstrap, React, Node.js, PHP, Wordpress, Laravel...

You can build websites with different languages and frameworks.

You can learn it on Udemy. ($10-$20 Courses)

Search for Full Stack Software Developer on Udemy.

Full Stack = Front-End + Back-End

It means that you'll design what people see on your website and also what people don't see.

You'll be an Artist (Front-End) and an Engineer (Back-End).

You'll be fine.

If you need some help, I'm open to help :D 

Edited by CARDOZZO

What does programming have to do with your LP?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

19 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

What does programming have to do with your LP?

I want to build a language learning website as languages is my LP.

@Husseinisdoingfine I think that developing curriculums for language teachers and materials is more important than creating a website. 

Have you ever taught language to someone?

And when it comes to your question, yes you absolutely want to learn JavaScript if you want to do anything online, and PHP if you want to earn money by doing projects for others, until you start earning anything form doing your own thing.

13 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Coding your own website these days is not a good idea unless you need something very unique and specific. There are tons of platforms available that make it easy to make sites with little coding knowledge.

But if I was developing a serious custom site from scratch I would use HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript. This is a classic stack that's proven to work very well unless you need something enterprise-level.

Edited by Leo Gura

25 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript. 

So many languages...

I signed up for a website called, 'CodeAcademy'. I need to learn all of these languages?

Anyways, thank you for you clear and direct advice. It's time for me to get cracking and get learning. It's intimidating though, b/c to build a successful business, it also takes knowing marketing, AND I need to learn these coding languages.

But thanks anyways.

Could someone please link me to Leo’s “guérilla business advice” blog?

Edited by Husseinisdoingfine

2 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript. 

These aren’t all coding languages. HTML is markup, it’s like pointing to the text in Word document and telling it this is a header. CSS is like choosing in Word how the text should look like. PHP is a programming language to code stuff you don’t want your users to see, like stuff that manages account logging, access to paid content and stuff. JavaScript can also do that but only when using a special framework, which you need to learn additionally on top of just knowing JavaScript, otherwise JavaScript is for basic interactive stuff on the website. MySQL is a way to communicate with a database, like saving changes in a Word document. So only PHP and JavaScript are proper languages.

It’s weird you dream of making a website and haven’t checked the basics of how the internet works. There’s a shit-ton of educational videos on YT. But yes you should learn all that stuff on codecademy, it’s an okay choice of learning platform.

But tell us please why do you need a website. I teach English to people maybe I can give you some better ideas to start a language business.

Edited by Girzo

There is little need these days to learn web programming unless it's something you want to specialize in. Coding is not an effective use of most people's time unless you seek to do it for a living. Either use a platform or outsource the work to a professional so you can focus on your area of mastery. It's important to learn to deligate work to the right people and not try to do everything from scratch yourself, as that is very inefficient.

Edited by Leo Gura

On 5/27/2023 at 9:54 PM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Don't want to kill your buzz but this doesn't sound like a good idea, theres too much competition in this space, especially with language learning websites starting to incorporate AI into their platforms.

You should be learning about sales, content creation, and marketing in addition to programming, creating a software based biz as your first business is not advisable as you don't have the funds or the exp, (this is coming from a software dev btw).

Programing is not something you half ass if your trying to make a career or money out of it. If your serious I would suggest learning Python as your first language. Build a small project and see if programming is something you want to take serious or if its just a hobby.

You can still satisfy your passion of teaching languages in different ways that don't involve programming.