Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Javfly33

How much work you should put for remote work?

8 posts in this topic

I work remotely and sometimes feel guilty that I put very few hours. Especially now that my company hasn't assigned me any project and its letting me do 'time to improve' work (getting certifications,...etc).

Recently I started using the Pomodoro method. I feel it's helping me a lot. 

I have scheduled 8 pomodoros each day (Monday to Friday). Each pomodoro is 30 minute of actual concentrated work. So basically 4 hours of concentrated work each day.

Some days I can't finish the 8 pomodoros, and I do 6 for example, even some days I do 5. But it's because I can't seriously keep my mind active for more time. It's very gruelling mental work.(software dev)

I feel I´m scamming my company doing 5-6 pomodoros though Lol. You think 8 pomodoros as a goal its good? (It must be said my company pays under the medium salary, so I shouldn't go overboard with my effort either I think)

In the end it's much more important what you did then how long you worked. Put 4/8 hours of focused per day and that's fine, it's beauty of remote work.

3 hours ago, Phil King said:

enough to not get fired

Lol thanks

2 hours ago, Juressic said:

In the end it's much more important what you did then how long you worked. Put 4/8 hours of focused per day and that's fine, it's beauty of remote work.

Yes, that's very true.

I´m learning Kubernetes now and its hell, fucking most boring thing I ever encountered in my life.

23 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

I´m learning Kubernetes now and its hell, fucking most boring thing I ever encountered in my life.

Could be boring if you use it for boring staff, but I actually love Kubernetes, because of the wonders it could do for my multiplayer game server. I quitted my webDev job last month because It was boring as hell and I had to learn new things all the time, lol.

4 hours ago, Juressic said:

Could be boring if you use it for boring staff, but I actually love Kubernetes, because of the wonders it could do for my multiplayer game server. I quitted my webDev job last month because It was boring as hell and I had to learn new things all the time, lol.

Yeah I know. If I be working on a project that uses Kubernetes I probably find it interesting, but just learning about it doing tutorials and meaningless labs...my god it's boring.

Off topic but how to do u see software development evolving with chatgpt? I imagine the barrier to entry has gone done tremendously now that chatgpt can code a lot for you 

9 hours ago, Jacob Morres said:

Off topic but how to do u see software development evolving with chatgpt? I imagine the barrier to entry has gone done tremendously now that chatgpt can code a lot for you 

Probably, probably not. ChatGPT even though helps a loot also sometimes just gives contradicting information. 

Maybe here to 5-10 years will be another story. But nowadays I don't see it such a game changer yet. It's still not precise enough for that.

Edited by Javfly33