Danioover9000

Do and can animals have rights in society?

24 posts in this topic

@Tanz

On 2023-04-19 at 7:04 PM, Tanz said:

The conversation needs to be had.  I prefer humans to reduce it and have criteria for when and when not to.  If it's for boner medication then no.  The type of animal would matter too. Rats and mice have lower priority, whereas primates should be ranked higher.  

I don't know if I want to live for 10 or 20 years longer if it means torturing a bunch of monkeys. I have even asked my kids if they were dying, would they want animals to be tortured so they can live, and they said no.  On the other hand, I can understand why people would do such things, and certainly, I can understand what a parent would do to save their child. At the very least, there should be some prayer or ritual in the name of the animals that are "giving up" their lives, like in Avatar or what Native Americans used to do when they hunted.  We are more conscious than them, so our responsibility is higher.  Despite of where Cov#d came from, it's fair to say our meddling with nature caused it.  Karma has a mysterious way of working its way back to humans.  We can consider such events as tax being paid.  The tax bill wasn't that high, considering.  A tax bill that costs less than 1% of us isn't expensive compared to the animals we wiped out of extinction or dramatically reduced their population. 

Without medicine, we wouldn't be where we are, but we are at a time in history where consuming less, and taking less from the environment will save us more than producing new medicines and even technologies. 

Here is a terrible video about monkeys being tested on by vice: 

It is a tricky tradeoff. I'd not like these monkeys or rats to be experimented on, but on the other hand that means I have to admit that Polio, HIV, STD, and other dangerous viruses, bacteria and even fungi will take longer to treat, implication being that my family members/friends or your family members/friends with polio or malaria or some other dangerous disease will suffer longer...

Maybe a few light hearted videos:

Don't get your rabbit frunk.

30 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Sucuk Ekmek

What does it mean for me to be aware of implementations? Do you mean am I conscious of implementations, or I have knowledge of implementations?

Whops sorry my bad I meant consequences.

They only thing in life worth valuing is the quality of experiences of living beings, there's literally nothing else.

I only care about people because they can experience things, positive and negative. That's the only reason I value their lives and respect their rights.

Since animals have the capacity to feel, I respect them and prefer not to hurt them unless I have a very good reason