davecraw

Question regarding objective reality

25 posts in this topic

Just to be clear let me define the terms I'm using.

By exist I mean:

1. In a casual process

By objective reality I mean:

1. That which exists

and

2. That which is not an experience (or part of an experience).

By your experience I mean:

1. The thing that you are aware of

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think my post exists beyond your experience? 

Why or why not?

Edited by davecraw

You clearly defined objectivity. How do you define "your experience"?

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

8 minutes ago, Moksha said:

You clearly defined objectivity. How do you define "your experience"?

Thanks for bringing that up. I mean the thing you are aware of.

Edited by davecraw

1 minute ago, davecraw said:

Notice that no matter how you slice it, my post exists within your experience.  Just as your post exists within mine. 

Furthermore, the thought or question as to whether it exists outside, also exists inside.   

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Just now, Inliytened1 said:

Notice that no matter how you slice it, my post exists within your experience.  Just as your post exists within mine. 

What about when you aren't looking at my post?

Just now, davecraw said:

What about when you aren't looking at my post?

That very inquiry exists within your experience. 

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

2 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

That very inquiry exists within your experience. 

What does that have to do with whether my post exists when no one is looking at it?

What does that have to do with whether my post exists when no one is looking at it?

It has everything to do with it.  If you look.  But no one wants to look.  You see, you can't escape the fact that everything hinges on your own conscioisness.   EVERYTHING.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Everything you say exists outside of your experience is something you are experiencing in your experience. 

Also the idea of other people is just an idea with experience. You have never proven that other people exist. You don’t even know if Inliytened has a separate experience viewing your post. Even that idea is an idea you are having in your consciousness. The idea that the earth is round is an idea in your experience.

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

15 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

It has everything to do with it.  If you look.  But no one wants to look.  You see, you can't escape the fact that everything hinges on your own conscioisness.   EVERYTHING.  

That's not what I'm getting at. I'm asking whether things exist that I'm unaware of.

Edited by davecraw

14 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

Everything you say exists outside of your experience is something you are experiencing in your experience. 

Also the idea of other people is just an idea with experience. You have never proven that other people exist. You don’t even know if Inliytened has a separate experience viewing your post. Even that idea is an idea you are having in your consciousness. The idea that the earth is round is an idea in your experience.

I'm referring to things that aren't part of my experience such as this post when I'm not looking at it. Does it exist then? If not why?

Edited by davecraw

12 minutes ago, davecraw said:

That's not what I'm getting at. I'm asking whether things exist that I'm unaware of.

Did you listen to Leo's what is Perception video?  What does it mean for a brick to exist with no one around?  It radically redefines what it means to exist.  Because to exist it has to have someone conscious of it.   Right?  Isn't that what it means for a brick to exist at all?

But what if it didn't require a someone to be conscious of it?  What if it was just WAS Consciousness  

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

25 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Did you listen to Leo's what is Perception video?  What does it mean for a brick to exist with no one around?  It radically redefines what it means to exist.  Because to exist it has to have someone conscious of it.   Right?  Isn't that what it means for a brick to exist at all?

But what if it didn't require a someone to be conscious of it?  What if it was just WAS Consciousness  

That's not how I define exist. In my view to exist is to be part of a casual process.  

Edited by davecraw

1 hour ago, davecraw said:

Great, now please define what you mean by "you".

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

1 minute ago, Moksha said:

Great, now please define what you mean by "you".

You are the one responding to me. I am the one asking you the question.

You are the one responding to me. I am the one asking you the question.

By that definition, which is the relative, of course things exist outside of your awareness. The person creates its own cosmos through its senses, perceptions, thoughts, feelings, and actions, but so does every other person.

The absolute is beyond definition, and nothing exists outside of its awareness. It is who you actually are, which is why I asked for clarification.

2 minutes ago, Moksha said:

By that definition, which is the relative, of course things exist outside of your awareness. The person creates its own cosmos through its senses, perceptions, thoughts, feelings, and actions, but so does every other person.

The absolute is beyond definition, and nothing exists outside of its awareness. It is who you actually are, which is why I asked for clarification.

So you don't think I'm the one responding to you?

6 minutes ago, davecraw said:

So you don't think I'm the one responding to you?

Relatively, you are responding to me. Absolutely, you are one expression of yourself responding to another expression of the same absolute self. It is all the absolute, in apparently different forms and states of self-awareness.

10 minutes ago, Moksha said:

Relatively, you are responding to me. Absolutely, you are one expression of yourself responding to another expression of the same absolute self. It is all the absolute, in apparently different forms and states of self-awareness.

What do you mean by expression? Why do you equate me with what I'm expressing (this post). I am not my post as far as I can tell. I claim that becuase my post doesn't type itself like I do.

Edited by davecraw

55 minutes ago, davecraw said:

That's not how I define exist. In my view to exist is to be part of a casual process.  

What does it mean for a tree to make a sound if you don't hear it?  You can hand wave it off and say it is just beyond our experience and we cant know...but this is false - and just a hand wave...you can actually directly discover that this is false and a thought to mask what is really going on.   What if your consciousness was all there is?  Could it EVEN be possible?  So... again...the ground outside your door - outside of your perception.   How can it exist without you thinking about it right now?  These are things you have to instinctively intuit are wrong with materialism.  If you don't intuit it there is pretty much no helping you out of materialism.  Only maybe a ton of drugs.  

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.