Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allwins777

Explicating Reality

6 posts in this topic

What Leo does for a living is actually really hard.
I'm doing serious meditation. Serious contemplation. Serious psychedelics. Seriously watching the videos. Deep insights. Progress is made steadily.
Then I go online and watch scientists arguing about philosophy of mind, is AI conscious, can we explain consciousness, and everything else. And I'm arguing with them in my head and I'm losing. I can't keep up with their jargon. I can't really build the bridge from their point of view to mine and really prove to myself that I understand why they are wrong. 
Yesterday I was talking with a friend and trying to explain that you cannot categorize Reality. He postulated that if we build a superintelligent AI and it keeps getting smarter he would eventually throw away all of our current scientific systems and build its own bigger and better and more comprehensive systems, which would have 'right' assumptions and would eventually comprehend all of Reality. Then we talked about Godel and I failed miserably to get him to understand the implications of incompleteness, the nature of assumptions, the way Reality is infinite, and so on and so forth. Our conversation was cut short, but nonetheless, I was disappointed with myself.
I spend a lot of time trying to understand Reality. I really FEEL it when I grasp something, but it is implicit. I try my best to explicate it, I have lots of documents where I write out insights and contemplations. It's hard. And it's even harder when I get pressed. And I feel bad. It's like I haven't understood shit! All this time and I can't even explain to somebody why you can't categorize Reality, which at this point is painfully obvious to me.
I recognize the value of field-testing my understanding. But I also don't want to waste my time. Things are getting harder and harder to explicate, much less convince others of them. A part of me wants to straight up give up the idea of talking about philosophy with anyone. I will just talk about art and physics, why bother debating. Nobody cares about the truth around me.
How valuable is it to explicate insights, really explain them to yourself and to others with words instead of just focusing on going deeper and trusting your implicit understanding? 
Sorry if this post is all over the place, I am new to forums in general.

It is valuable primarily because it gives your clarity in your own mind. Which is actually crucial for very deep awakening.

But explicating things to others is not the same thing as comprehending things for yourself. Then again, if you deeply comprehend a thing for yourself it shouldn't be too hard to explain it others. But yeah, it is a definitely a skill that requires cultivation. It is not automatic. It doesn't just come with awakening. I have spent at least 5,000-10,000hrs practicing it. It's my #1 skill. So don't compare yourself to me.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Stop arguing with fools. Stop any arguing at all.

You are comparing yourself to Michael Jordan of spirituality, while you're a high school basketball team bench warmer (no offense, i just want to compare the difference between you and Leo in spirituality), yeah you are kind of doing the same thing but not on the same level. You might understand what's it's all about, but do you really know what it takes to reach the top? What it's like to be at the top? Probably not.

33 minutes ago, KGrimes said:

Stop arguing with fools. Stop any arguing at all.

^ This. Indeed, stop arguing with anybody.

Embody the understanding and people will come seek answers from You on their own. Be an example.

Your friend probably has a very strong scientific Dogma. You probably have a mystical dogma to handle as well. Understand that the need of defending a point of view is itself a distraction from reality. Postulations about a hyper-powerful AI that models reality perfectly just to prove that a naturalistic point of view is correct is simply ego trying to defend its worldview.

If you want to be more convincing and make people understand you better, try offering knowledge as a parallel perspective, because it is. Invite him to see reality differently from a moment, without any necessity of changing his point of view. You'd be impressed on how you can slowly open the mind of people that way. 

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It is valuable primarily because it gives your clarity in your own mind. Which is actually crucial for very deep awakening.

But explicating things to others is not the same thing as comprehending things for yourself. Then again, if you deeply comprehend a thing for yourself it shouldn't be too hard to explain it others. But yeah, it is a definitely a skill that requires cultivation. It is not automatic. It doesn't just come with awakening. I have spent at least 5,000-10,000hrs practicing it. It's my #1 skill. So don't compare yourself to me.

I think I'll keep to myself for now, explaining things only for the sake of clarity. I don't think I am getting anywhere no matter who I debate with in person or in my head. I was definitely underestimating the task of communicating spiritual matters before. I have no desire to be a teacher so I won't spend extra effort preparing to explain things to others. Maybe when I have children to teach...

(Also, thank you for everything you do.)

3 minutes ago, Israfil said:

If you want to be more convincing and make people understand you better, try offering knowledge as a parallel perspective, because it is. Invite him to see reality differently from a moment, without any necessity of changing his point of view. You'd be impressed on how you can slowly open the mind of people that way. 

Yeah, that's it...
I do clash with people's perspectives instead of just offering mine. I am still attached to proving myself right. I was insecure about my intelligence for many years up until a few months ago and I guess this is a leftover from that.