meta_male

How to prepare for IFS therapy?

12 posts in this topic

So, I'm finally going to therapy this Sat as it became more and more clear to me that there's no way around it without going in circles. I think it's an important step in my journey. This is the first time I'm doing this, is there any important thing to keep in mind? Would you recommend not talking about anything related to Spirituality? Any important questions I should ask concerning therapy itself, or just go and see if this therapist feels right to work with?

Edited by meta_male

@meta_male I'd advise making sure they have at least a level one training with the IFS institute.

A few years ago I felt very mislead by a professional who claimed to do IFS and listed IFS on their professional profile as one of their modalities. However, they had no IFS institute training and were not indeed competent at it.

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

@Ulax Thanks man. She's listed on the IFS Europe site, so safe to assume she's legit, right?

@meta_male If you link the page i can check for you

Be-Do-Have

3 hours ago, meta_male said:

https://www.ifs-europe.net/

It's in German though. Robert C. Schwartz is founding member of the institute.

@meta_male Ye i had a look through and it seems to me that some of the therapists/ coaches on there don't have an IFS institute training. Instead they have an independent training in IFS. If they are are institute trained they'll have a 'level 1, 2 or 3' certification.

So, if you wanted to follow my advice, you could use the website you linked but be careful to only choose a therapist/ coach with a levelled certification from the institute.

Alternatively, you could use the IFS directory: https://ifs-institute.com/practitioners?country=All&city=&approved_consultant=All&level=All&availability=All&consultation_availability=All&field_acceptphone_value=All&keyword=&field_geofield_proximity[value]=100&field_geofield_proximity[source_configuration][origin_address]=

My understanding is all the therapists/ practioners on that directory are IFS institute certified to some level. I think its a pre-requisite for having a profile on the directory.

Be-Do-Have

19 hours ago, meta_male said:

This is the first time I'm doing this, is there any important thing to keep in mind?

If you show up under the influence of substance, such as being hung over or having smoked weed, but also and especially nootropics or a lot of caffeine, you're sabotaging yourself. This meddles with your ability to access your deeper parts.

Would you recommend not talking about anything related to Spirituality?

Schwartz is somewhat open to spirituality in his theories, so the topic should be okay, but these types of sessions are not really about you talking about content you're interested in or beliefs you have. Don't focus on how you see the world vs how the therapist sees the world, just relax your mind and let them do their thing.

Any important questions I should ask concerning therapy itself, or just go and see if this therapist feels right to work with?

Ask about the work they've done on themselves. Ask for specifics and stories. People who don't take their own medicine are not trustworthy healers.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@Raze Cheers for the link

@Ulax Appreciate it! I'll just give it a shot tomorrow anyways. It's important for me to just take action right now, even if it turned out to not be exactly what I expect.

2 hours ago, flowboy said:

If you show up under the influence of substance, such as being hung over or having smoked weed, but also and especially nootropics or a lot of caffeine, you're sabotaging yourself. This meddles with your ability to access your deeper parts.

Good point, I'll keep that in mind. I want to reduce taking substances, just never had a solid reason for it up until this point in life.

2 hours ago, flowboy said:

just relax your mind and let them do their thing.

This one hits deep. Getting my mind to relax has been a recurring topic recently, just can't get myself to this state like I used to for some reason. But it'll be fine eventually. Thanks for your advice.

3 hours ago, meta_male said:

@Ulax Appreciate it! I'll just give it a shot tomorrow anyways. It's important for me to just take action right now, even if it turned out to not be exactly what I expect.

@meta_male I get ya. All the best with it.

Be-Do-Have

On 31.3.2023 at 1:42 AM, Ulax said:

My understanding is all the therapists/ practioners on that directory are IFS institute certified to some level.

Yeah, she has a certificate and did her training with the IFS institute in Germany. Not level 1 though, more like practitioner. But overall I got a good feeling during the talk today. She also did a lot of work on herself since 16.

First session in two weeks.

Thanks for the replies, everyone ?

Edited by meta_male

On 31/03/2023 at 2:43 PM, meta_male said:

This one hits deep. Getting my mind to relax has been a recurring topic recently, just can't get myself to this state like I used to for some reason. But it'll be fine eventually. Thanks for your advice.

She would probably help you with that by asking you to find that thinking part, that wants to constantly figure things out, locate it in the body, thank it for its good work, and let it know that it's not needed for this moment. Asking it to step back and give us some space.

In fact you could do that right now.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/