Ulax

Shinzen Young's ' 'See, hear, feel' meditation Guide

6 posts in this topic

its my favorite meditation technique, though it is really open to confusion due to the lack of examples and demonstration .

You can participate in the home practice program and learn it online. It's not that big of a deal. It's confusing, yet re-reading the script gives loads of insights. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

@Ayham it's also my favorite too. the technique is v powerful but i had the same issue with it.

idk im gravitating more towards vipassana because the community is much larger and there's more resources

Edited by Jacob Morres

Addition: (Combining See-Hear-Feel with Metronome/ Interval timer)

To my knowledge, Shinzen Young doesn't speak on using metronomes in the above resources.

However, in my personal practice, using the See-hear-feel technique, I have found metronomes useful.

I find there are two types of metronomes. (1) Standard metronomes, (2) Alternate metronomes.

(1) Standard metronomes

The metronome/ buzzer goes off at the same time interval each time. I.e. 60s buzzer each time (example below)

You could, i.e. switch the sense you focus on each time the buzzer goes off. Or rest one period, then meditate the next, then rest, then meditate, and so on. (By rest, I basically means do whatever you want)

(2) Alternate metronomes

The metronomes alternates between two different buzzer timings. I.e. 60 second buzzer followed by 10 second buzzer. (example below)

---

I think if you're quite neurotic (as I am lol) it could be useful to use alternate metronomes. Then I'd actually recommend giving it a try only meditating  in the shorter period, and resting in the longer period. 

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback