StarStruck

For people who use electric cars

24 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Devin said:

8Most people won't need cars in the future

"The 15-minute city is an urban planning concept in which most daily necessities and services, such as work, shopping, education, healthcare, and leisure can be easily reached by a 15-minute walk or bike ride from any point in the city. Wikipedia"

The 15 minute city is something the WEF talks about for urban development. And we can figure out how to recycle cobalt batteries easier once we get enough in circulation.

Sounds like a human planning concept, actually brilliant idea. 

1 minute ago, Juan said:

But but, my dream car is to buy a Tesla. :/

Buy a BMW like me until sustainable methods are discovered to manufacture electric cars.  

In Tate we trust

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Things may not be so simple.

Buying more cars leads to the development of better, safer, more efficient cars. In 100 years will we have very clean cars via this process.

It sounds like it makes sense, but inversely, if fewer cars were sold, more manufacturers would build cars to last longer.  Toyota sales have dropped over the years because buyers' new car cycles have reduced because of low-interest rates; this disadvantages Toyota because they update their cars over a more extended period and focus on reliability rather than putting in the latest and greatest.  

Having bullet trains is also something America needs to work on. Theoretically, by pushing consumption, evolution progresses faster, but at the same time, the shadow part of capitalism slows down the growth of technology that could become better.  Very much like Tesla almost going bankrupt multiple times because of lobbying until Toyota decided to bankroll them.  

Ironically, there is a lobby for EVs today, and Hydrogen technology is being stifled.  According to an engineer I spoke to, if hydrogen progresses further into the future, someday, it may be possible for people to get fuel from water from the faucet or rainwater.  They now have very large, sophisticated machines that convert water into liquid hydrogen gas. Imagine if they were to shrink it to the size of a diesel generator. Energy would be free.  

If we created a better system to exist, I think people would passionately work on solutions that make people's lives better.  As of now, being greedy creates demand in the wrong ways.  As of now, greed certainly seems like the best method to incentivize progress, but I am interested to see what can be done differently. It would be cool to pilot study a population of a few hundred thousand people to construct society differently.   Intrinsic motivation is more effective for individual success, but there hasn't been any study or attempt to create it for a sizable population.  

Edited by Tanz