Mohsinuddin

How Important Is To Be Around Nature Rather Than Living In A City?

21 posts in this topic

I always wonder if I get job in city I would be stressed out more than being in nature. Is it healthy to live in city?

It doesn't matter where you live, if you haven't developed the profound connection with your soul, you won't be able to appreciate the beauty of the world around you. 

Far away from the city is certainly more peaceful. If you like being alone most of the time rather than with people then go for it! However if you like being around people all the time then be in the city. 

23 minutes ago, Sigma said:

It doesn't matter where you live, if you haven't developed the profound connection with your soul, you won't be able to appreciate the beauty of the world around you. 

In addition to what @Sigma said, 

I believe that the quality of our lives is not measured by the world we live in, but by the lens we see through. Happiness and peace can be found either in the city, or in nature :)

And there's also just personal preference and what different people are used to. I'm a fairly small-town boy myself, and while I do enjoy visiting large cities as a tourist, I don't think I'd want to live there full time - and I suppose there's plenty of people who grew up in a big city who might really not enjoy themselves in smaller towns.

But I don't think that living in a big city is actually unhealthy, and I'm sure that if it came up, I'd eventually adapt to living in a city. Well, most people are pretty adaptable, I think, so while there might be an initial "shock", it'd probably turn out fine in the end.

@Mohsinuddin You could maybe define more clearly what do you mean by the word "healthy"? Do you mean the air pollution or anxiety issues that people living in the city might acquire? 

13 hours ago, Mohsinuddin said:

I always wonder if I get job in city I would be stressed out more than being in nature. Is it healthy to live in city?

I definitely believe in the power of nature.  Being out in nature can be healing, to connect with the freshest air you're ever going to breathe, to see life so abundantly and moving, nature is often underestimated and underappreciated and that's why we think nothing of tearing it down to build cities and make room for commerce...but it's important for human beings to connect with nature every once in a while at least and experience what it's like to just simply BE.  There's healing power in nature most definitely.  I would listen to your instinct on that one and go with nature.  Cities tend to domesticate us and keep us contained in buildings for long hours, yet nature invites us to commune with it.

Has anyone seen that movie In the Wild?  This is where the guy travels to Alaska driven by the attempt to live like a wild human being.  It's a great story!  Would anyone ever attempt to do that themselves?  Why or why not?  Do you think it's important to experience nature and live like a wild human at least once before you die?

Develop yourself in such a way that the best escape from society you can make is inside your soul. Being alone with yourself should give you peace of mind and happines by itself.

There is definitely a unique quietness in nature which is impossible to hear in the city no matter how thick the walls are in your apartment. 

I've lived very close to a forest until I turned 18. Now I live in the centre of a much larger town. There are a couple differences. 

I don't feel like living in a city is less healthy in any way. Sure, you I don't take a walk in the forest too often anymore, but at the same time, the city has much more to offer regarding sports/fitness/cardio/health etc. 
I do feel like living in a city can be more stressful though. Especially if you live at a busy street, the sound of the cars and motorcycles can be disturbing. Maybe this is just something I need to get used to as I have only lived in a city for a little over 6 months.

Sometimes I do miss the stillness of nature, especially during the winter as I don't go out biking/running too often nowadays. When the weather gets better, I will be going out to enjoy nature more often. 

@DreamSpirit i would not want to live like that because i feel we have evolved from that stage and it is also scary to do something like that ... and i don't think it would be useful in anyways , but i would love to connect to nature ...

On 2/12/2016 at 11:41 AM, Electron said:

Nice post and picture.

“Traveling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

@Elton Life is definitely more comfortable for us now, but the more we go on with modernity, the more disconnected we become.  So, I really wonder how much good did that really serve us.  There's a man in Mexico, who carves caves into the most fanciest houses and they've got running water and everything.  He carves all day because he loves to do it.  I'd like to live in one of those.  I'd bet that'd be a great way to live remotely from society and connect with our true essence.

personally I'm a bit of a nomad and like to switch it up :D

58 minutes ago, Neill Bolton said:

personally I'm a bit of a nomad and like to switch it up :D

This is surely very wise, but if I had to choose only one forever, then it'll be nature.

It's quite important to spend at least 1 hour a day around nature. I also think I'd be so much more advanced if I could afford living in the Wild. It's a fact that city consumes 90+% of your brain activities with business and activities which might not be even for YOU specifically in the end of the day. All these brain activities distracts you from living in the moment...That's in a nutshell and not easy to overcome as I found based on my experience.