Roy

How do I accept human stupidity?

45 posts in this topic

These issues can stem from identity. If you identify with being a very empathetic person, that identity usually also comes with a judgement of the people on the opposite spectrum, in that case unemphatic people who torture animals and rape and kill and so on. In the same way, the more you identify as being an intelligent person, the more stupidity might piss you off.

I think there are two main reasons for why others piss us off (as far as I'm aware at least):

a). They have something, that we feel we lack. So if you're very insecure and you see an overly confident person, that confident person could trigger your feelings of lacking confidence and so they would make you mad.

b.) They have something, that we hate in ourselves. So if you're very selfish, but you hate your own selfishness, you might project that feeling of self-hatred on other people.

I doubt that you're envious of their stupidity, so I'd focus on the second option if that resonates with you.

The bottom line is that you're projecting your own feelings onto stupid people. The source of your lack of acceptance, obviously lies within you. You won't find an answer outside of yourself. It's your own projection, so focus on what it is that you're projecting. What is it that gets triggered when you see stupidity? Is it frustration? Is it a feeling of powerlessness (like does being cut off make you feel like you lack the control you'd like to have)? it can be a lot of things honestly, it's for you to find out.

Anger usually emerges from pain, frustration,  feelings of being overwhelmed, powerless and unloved. By pointing our finger at other people we project the source of these emotions out on them. That is what anger is all about. You see a thing you don't like, anger makes you want to take action and get rid of that thing (in it's most essential form).

So accepting their stupidity is not about the people you're trying to accept per se. So you're not going to stare at a stupid person and try really really hard to accept them. Remain mindful during periods of anger, and actually trace the anger back to it's source. What is it that you're blaming that person for? What emotions and subconscious beliefs do they trigger?

Situations where you get angry/triggered are great opportunity to take a look inside yourself. So you just want to apply awareness to what is going on inside yourself (on an emotional level, not what your thoughts are saying, because they will most likely try to blame everyone and everything) while you're angry. That is difficult while you're actually angry, but if you manage to push through that wall of anger, you will find the source of that anger. A healthier solution for these emotions is... to just cry them out. But you have to work towards that. Your body might not want to open up to you right away and reveal what's really going on internally. So start with the most basic step. Accept your difficulties to accept the stupidity in people. Accept where you're currently at. Accept your difficulties dealing with these emotions outside of getting angry with others. Then go: "Interesting, I wonder what all of that is?!". Be curious. Investigate. Observe. Experience. Stay with the anger, and don't let your mind bombard you with stories about your anger. FEEL it!

That's my general perspective. Hope it helps.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

2 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

Love that! <3

Thank you. This is only the beginning :x

Edit: I also just realized I said I experienced a taste of love. That was definitely no pun intended, ha!

Edited by Yimpa

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

Self love. By learning to love reality instead of need it to love us back.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"