John

Question On Meditation

7 posts in this topic

Sometimes when sitting, I experience something akin to the feeling you get when your on top of a roller coaster and it's just reaching the apex and you're about to go down. I get a warm feeling that sweeps through my whole body and a very mild version of what I described above.

Has anyone else experienced this? After two years of meditation am I finally flirting with the first jhana?!

Edited by John

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

2 hours ago, John said:

Sometimes when sitting, I experience something akin to the feeling you get when your on top of a roller coaster and it' just reaching and you're about to go down. I get a warm feeling that sweeps through my whole body and a very mild version of what I described above.

Has anyone else experienced this? After two years of meditation am I finally flirting with the first jhana?!

It could be a sign of progression.

I have felt something similar. I often entertained the feeling and tried to make it more intense and last longer. But it wasn't doing anything for me. When I was feeling this, I asked myself the question where is this feeling coming from/who is feeling it. The feeling vanished and I went into a deeper state of mediation which was much more effortless. 

@Capethaz The first time it happened I was using focus on breath. Simply labeling, "in" and "out". Then it happened again when I was using one of Shinzen Young's focus in techniques. And in general no matter what technique I am using I am flirting with this feeling more and more often. But I start to get excited and impatient and inevitably take a step back..

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

Yeah, I get this experience. It's crazy. When I really focus on being aware during long SDS sits, it is like your entire emotional composition explodes from the confinement of the body and mind to an expansive space in the room. The energy is flowing without control. I also get psychedelic-like closed eye visuals. Like tunnels and stuff.

What I love to do here is to realise that this right here, is a nature of experience. There are just things floating around in some sort of existable awareness. With phenomena seen with such clarity of what they actually are. These sensations lose the story you have attached to them and become harmless and something worth crying over. When I spoke to Shinzen Young about this he said that anything you can experience on the cushion you can experience in your daily life. This is nuts, imagine experiencing this when experiencing an intense negative emotion in your active (sight based) life. Or experiencing a challenging situation. It is like you fully align with nature and the the concept of "negativity" can be easily seen through.  

This to me is a hypothesis, but if this is possible boy it must be fucking powerful. So keep going this stuff is revolutionary.