Hardkill

Are labor unions a net negative for most workers?

27 posts in this topic

Just now, Hardkill said:

The higher taxes in the scandinavian countries have provided their countries the means for universal healthcare, free public colleges and universities tuition, and other essentials social safety net programs for each and every citizen.

So, what if unions raise costs? That's what happened when unions membership reached a peak in the mid 1900s in the US and the US was still the wealthiest country in the world during those times.

Have you or anyone you know needed serious medical care? I haven't and neither has anyone close to me, I don't know of my parents ever going to the hospital actually, so they are paying those higher taxes for what would be in the u.s. the recklessly unhealthy people, and ours would cost more.

Do you value college education on a mass scale, as in everyone going? I don't, I think far too many people are going to college. I support education, but you can learn a lot at the free public libraries we have actually, that's the free education I support.

Safety nets, anyone in the u.s. has all the safetynet they need to get back up on the horse, soup kitchens, food banks, homeless shelters, free clothing. I don't buy into all the hype around this issue.

4 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Are you aware of the fact that there have been countless Americans who have been struggling to get by through no fault of their own because they haven't been given enough of a living wage.

How? What situation, describe one.

The airline industry and airports are good examples of how unionization can be negative.  Workers abuse power as much as bosses do.  

3 hours ago, Devin said:

Have you or anyone you know needed serious medical care? I haven't and neither has anyone close to me, I don't know of my parents ever going to the hospital actually, so they are paying those higher taxes for what would be in the u.s. the recklessly unhealthy people, and ours would cost more.

Do you value college education on a mass scale, as in everyone going? I don't, I think far too many people are going to college. I support education, but you can learn a lot at the free public libraries we have actually, that's the free education I support.

Safety nets, anyone in the u.s. has all the safetynet they need to get back up on the horse, soup kitchens, food banks, homeless shelters, free clothing. I don't buy into all the hype around this issue.

Roughly 30 MILLION Americans do not have any health insurance AT ALL and about 43% of working age adults in the US are not insured enough. Also, are you telling me that you're okay with many drug companies in the US over charging most Americans unjustly?

Having a college level education or higher is only going to continue to increase in need and value in the US as the US economy continues to shift to higher and higher skilled-based labor because of the ever increasing amount of labor automation and the whole world becoming more and more globalized in the long-run. Besides, you can't become a doctor, healthcare professional, scientist, lawyer, judge, engineer, architect, teacher, mathematician, accountant, high-level technology professional, or others such as those that required you to earn at least an undergraduate degree.

the safety nets that we have in the US are still not good enough. If they were then most Americans wouldn't be living miserable lives. 

Edited by Hardkill

6 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Roughly 30 MILLION Americans do not have any health insurance AT ALL and about 43% of working age adults in the US are not insured enough. Also, are you telling me that you're okay with many drug companies in the US over charging most Americans unjustly?

And what 99% of them or so get medicaid or medicare for free. If you have a serious medical bill you can just pay it off over time as well, even though it's unlikely in the first place, unless you don't take care of yourself, in which case you're getting a second chance at life due to these amazing providers. 

Yes I'm okay with drug companies charging whatever they want. Why don't you college educated people that despise the rich start a drug co-op and produce these medicines? The patents only last 20 years, anyone can make them. Drugs are a second chance at life if they're really needed, a miracle, not food.

Having a college level education or higher is only going to continue to increase in need and value in the US as the US economy continues to shift to higher and higher skilled-based labor because of the ever increasing amount of labor automation and the whole world becoming more and more globalized in the long-run. Besides, you can't become a doctor, healthcare professional, scientist, lawyer, judge, engineer, architect, teacher, mathematician, accountant, high-level technology professional, or others such as those that required you to earn at least an undergraduate degree.

Those should get higher education of course, I said too many, many people with degrees wind up not using them. Poor people get grants in the u.s., free college, and community colleges are dirt cheap. Yes education needs to increase in time and the difference needs to be paid by tax payers, but that doesn't mean all out everything's free.

My point was it's simple supply and demand on both fronts; college is more expensive because of it's current overuse, and employers seek more college education because more people have it.

If you're poor get a grant, if not and parents won't pay work a few years and save money for a degree at community college, it's good for a real world break anyway.

the safety nets that we have in the US are still not good enough. If they were then most Americans wouldn't be living miserable lives. 

I disagree, they're miserable because they compare themselves with others, it's a recognized trait by outsiders, Americans are known as hyper competitive and judgmental, it's cultural. America is the land of rejects, they didn't make it in their home countries so they or their relatives came here.

It's not a homogenous lovey dovey  small scandinavian country. There's a lot of psychology at play in these dynamics.

Edited by Devin

@Hardkill

I can fly to Denmark right now for $600, visa free travel, after 4 years I can get permanent residency. Why don't these suffering Americans live in a homeless shelter for a week making $15hr at walmart for the $600, eating at soup kitchens, and move to Denmark for heaven?