ZenAlex

I don't understand why people complain about the 9-5 shift

10 posts in this topic

I hear people often complaining about 9-5.

I used also, but then I ended up having to do late shifts in a job until 9pm and waking up at 5-6am for early shift the next day, and had to lose most of my weekends for so long. 

Now I'm back to 9-5 and I'm so grateful for it now. I love having my weekends back. I like being free at 5pm.

People are ungrateful. 

It's necessary that some people complain so that 9 to 5 becomes 10 to 4 and shorter. If everyone becomes happy with 9 to 5, it will quickly become 8 to 6 or longer.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@Gesundheit2

Hmm, I don't think complaining will lead to this noble goal. It'll take time. For one person is the solution: become more valueable and demand a 10 to 4.

4 minutes ago, pinskyforest said:

@supremeyingyang this sounds dystopic to me im sorry i dont want to live in that world. Coming from someone who doesnt even interact with cashiers beyond whats necessary.

It's gonna happen to some degree, but don't panik. Boomer will prevent it in their lifetime bc of their sheer mass in western societies , so we get a smooth transition.

6 minutes ago, pinskyforest said:

I just love meeting my silly fellow humans and feel sad that they and i have to play societys games for now

What do you mean by that? We can meet our friends and be silly not matter what. Even if we get automated supermarkts, other humans will be there shopping so.. I see no problem

4 hours ago, ZenAlex said:

I hear people often complaining about 9-5.

I used also, but then I ended up having to do late shifts in a job until 9pm and waking up at 5-6am for early shift the next day, and had to lose most of my weekends for so long. 

Now I'm back to 9-5 and I'm so grateful for it now. I love having my weekends back. I like being free at 5pm.

People are ungrateful. 

People always adapt to things. If you start to earn 5 million dollards a month after some month it will become the new norm for you and you won't get excited about it anymore and you will start to notice the holes and limitations that comes with "only" earning that much money.

Being grateful for something can only work if you deliberately practice it or if you have alternative perspective(s) about the thing you are being grateful for. Lacking alternative (harder or more negative )experience(s) and perspective(s) often leads to us being ungrateful, but thats nothing new.

1 hour ago, supremeyingyang said:

@Gesundheit2

Hmm, I don't think complaining will lead to this noble goal.

It does and it will, albeit indirectly. And if it doesn't, then I'm not the one complaining, so no loss.

1 hour ago, supremeyingyang said:

For one person is the solution: become more valueable and demand a 10 to 4.

Sure thing.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

Because a lot of people do shit work for 9-5. It destroys them from the inside, The work is meaningless, shallow, boring and unfulfilling. Not to mention people are overworked and underpaid more often than not and have to report to people who are poor managers and self-centred. 

If you like your job, good for you. Consider yourself fortunate. Or maybe you actively pursued something you would enjoy early in life, in which case, congrats!

I'm sure it is partially a mindset thing as well but the way market is structured, for each satisfied person there is probably 50 frustrated people who hate their jobs. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

42 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

It does and it will, albeit indirectly. And if it doesn't, then I'm not the one complaining, so no loss.

We have no problem then;)

@Michael569

well he said the 9 to 5 sucks less than constant changing shift work, that doesn't mean it's good, right?

41 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

I'm sure it is partially a mindset thing as well but the way market is structured, for each satisfied person there is probably 50 frustrated people who hate their jobs. 

We need someone to make a survey about this, lol.

@zurew

truth