Emrie

Question for Software Engineers

9 posts in this topic

Hi SWE friends,

I'm going to start my first job as SWE later this year, I'll be focused more on backend stuff, and I was wondering about something.

The company uses Java exclusively for its backend. I was wondering if this is widely used within the industry or if I should still learn and keep up-to-date with other languages as well if I ever want or need to change jobs.

So what do you folks think?

Java is what you use for native android dev so it will always have good job potential. I wouldn't want it to be the singular language I'm familiar with or anything like that though.

Java is widely used and there’s a lot of jobs in it. Microsoft’s C# is winning some ground on it. 
But a good programmer can get started in any language in 2 weeks anyway.

Except Haskell.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

On 2/18/2023 at 9:55 AM, flowboy said:

Except Haskell.

??? My poor sophisticated baby

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

43 minutes ago, integral said:

??? My poor sophisticated baby

What? xD I speak monads.

Do you even applicative functor bro?

Edited by flowboy

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

2 hours ago, flowboy said:

What? xD I speak monads.

Do you even applicative functor bro?

? all monads are applicative functors but not all applicative functors are monads. ?

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

14 minutes ago, integral said:

? all monads are applicative functors but not all applicative functors are monads. ?

Indeed :D

Sometimes we just need to be reminded.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:55 AM, flowboy said:

Java is widely used and there’s a lot of jobs in it. Microsoft’s C# is winning some ground on it. 
But a good programmer can get started in any language in 2 weeks anyway.

Except Haskell.

This is the main point to keep in mind. Language really does not matter at the end of the day, experienced engineers can pick up new ones in no time. What matters is you simply put in the work and gain experience actually programming and debugging, learning the types of problems you'll encounter, etc. The concepts you pick up and utilize will be applicable in any language.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:11 PM, Emrie said:

Hi SWE friends,

I'm going to start my first job as SWE later this year, I'll be focused more on backend stuff, and I was wondering about something.

The company uses Java exclusively for its backend. I was wondering if this is widely used within the industry or if I should still learn and keep up-to-date with other languages as well if I ever want or need to change jobs.

So what do you folks think?

Use languages/frameworks/platforms/infrastructure as you need them. If you have a side project you want to work on then youll naturally use the best technology (language) for that job, like if you where building iphone apps you would build it in Swift or Flutter or a cross platform framework thats likely web technology (typescript or javascript + react) that builds to all platforms. 

Edited by integral