Ulax

Journal prompts for exploring guilt

8 posts in this topic

I was hoping users could help me generate a set of journaling prompts around exploring the topic of guilt.

If you also have a resource like a book you can recommend that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

1. How does Nietzsche's characterization of slave morality as the root of degeneracy in western culture make me feel about my personal beliefs and values?
  2. In what ways have I internalized the slave morality described by Nietzsche and how does this impact my daily thoughts and actions?
  3. Am I aware of instances in my life where I have perpetuated slave morality and what were the motivations behind my actions?
  4. How do I reconcile my own guilt and shame in carrying the legacy of slave morality in a society that still faces its effects today?
  5. What steps can I take to challenge and transcend the limitations of slave morality in my own life, and what does this journey towards self-discovery look like for me?

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

From experience I can only say from doing stuff on my own, probing with question on what is behind the guilt. I went pretty existential on a trip with meditation for this, where I was feeling ashamed to be human and steadily move to pride as an emotion, you could ask.

• Why do I feel guilty?
  • What can I change to stop feeling guilty internally?
  • Is it based on a belief system?
  • What am I believing? 
  • In which situations does guilt manifest?
  • Am I supressing guilt? Why am I supressing emotions?
  • What am I afraid of? Does fear cause guilt?
  • Probing with meditation (body scan technique etc, then write down what was evoked penetrating guilt so to say)

Gult&Shame is a social modulator (i have this info from dr.keith witt from integral), it's a good mechanism to have if you consider survival, it helps to adhere to norms and not kill us (own interpretation as well as info from Witt). 

Exploring guilt is for me already the correct question, and part of the work, I also feel a lot of guilt more "esoteric" ressources helped me to deal with it just knowing I am apparently more prone to it, it's sort of like a feedback mechanism to me to see socities standards and question them, as well as personal beliefs and trapped emotions etc. Obviously, also to not go crazy and be a functional human to others. 

This is how I explored it through manual journaling mostly in early phases of development. I find it's connected to vulnerabillity and ego, I've certainly become more authentic and can come forth from a more innocent place. 

How to stop worrying and start living was a great book that helped me to overcome similar emotions and issue that might befall you, I could re-read it some principles are very good in there, like living in day-tight-compartments etc. 

Hope this is interesting and of value to you!

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

@ValiantSalvatore That's awesome stuff dude! Do you have a link or know of a way of accessing a talk/ book from dr keith witt regarding guilt that you would be willing to share?

Also with the body scan technique I don't understand what you mean by 'write down what was evoked penetrating guilt so to say'.

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

@Ulax 

https://integrallife.com/integral-mindfulness-and-the-evolution-of-shame/

Is the link of the video of the session with corey from integral life, I was a member I'd wanted to do his book shadow light for a shadow process, as I did some IFS during a Shinzen retreat (I full-throttled the audiobook), you could check it out it might aid you. 

I am unsure how good it is, I did sections from online-courses from integral with him involved and it was a lot about sexuality and love, he has over 10k hours in couples therapy etc. and councled with presidents according to him. I'd definitely check him out. 

What I find funny about him, he likes psychology so much he himself still get psychotherapy it's sorta amazing lol.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Keith-Witt/author/B00J9VQYVU?ref=ap_rdr&store_ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

It's unfortunately behind a pay-wall, yet you might find something of value :)

No prompts on my part but ask what is it? How does guilt come about? Why is it there? What are its components?

An open, direct inquiry is a better strategy in my view.

Instead of tackling it as a conceptual or intellectual matter, look into the experience of guilt itself and wonder about it. Experience what it is.

Hope that helps.

21 hours ago, Ulax said:

@ValiantSalvatore 

Also with the body scan technique I don't understand what you mean by 'write down what was evoked penetrating guilt so to say'.

Sorry, I did not read this. Basically you can sweep through the body and for example start with the feet, and move towards the skull. Slowly with awareness and concentration going through the body and notice, where guilt is held as an emotion. Then do that again from top skull to bottom feet and look just how your body feels. 

Go through shoulders, legs,hands, extremities ears, let eye lids relax.

You can set the intention to explore guilt and journal afterwards, e.g 20 min body-scan and 10 min journal afterwards to describe what you felt.

With mindfulness skills, you can with practice dive heads deep into it and penetrate without a strict body-scan technique. 

Similar to UnbornTao's answer with direct inquiry. Just without inquiry and just pure penetration.

I did it more in a momentary awareness style, so I did not focus. I am using a khanika samadhi style of meditation. As that fits my personality the most.