no_name

Is smoking weed and doing shrooms making you age

47 posts in this topic

I can’t help but notice that people who do weed (and maybe even do shrooms) look much older. They have deep set wrinkles and their skin looks very tired and saggy.

I’ve smoked really strong weed a few times recently, and I noticed a line on my forehead appeared. A quick google search confirmed this.

Is doing these things going to make you age fast? Is it bad for your general health? Are shrooms the same as weed? Are shrooms a healthier option that will not damage your skin? 

1D4D3253-4EE6-4BE1-AC17-D56251B1C442.jpeg

Edited by no_name

Yes, inhaling any smoke is bad, not just marijuana. Shrooms aren't smoked (psilocybin mushrooms that is). I don't think it causes you to age that fast though. I think forehead lines may appear more or less pronounced depending on the day, e.g. because of varying stress levels, or even something as innocuous as emoting when talking to people. Also, consider that you've recently started smoking weed, a substance that alters visual perception and level of inquisitiveness.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard I think it causes more damage than cigarettes. Kind of similar to alcohol when people wake up from a night of drinking and look like death. 

2 hours ago, no_name said:

@Carl-Richard I think it causes more damage than cigarettes. Kind of similar to alcohol when people wake up from a night of drinking and look like death. 

Alcohol is an actual toxin though. People looking like death after waking up from weed could have something to do with how it affects sleep (it removes much of REM sleep), or how it causes overeating of unhealthy foods.

Smoking is bad 

the more often you are sober the better 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

Alcohol is an actual toxin though. People looking like death after waking up from weed could have something to do with how it affects sleep (it removes much of REM sleep), or how it causes overeating of unhealthy foods.

But isn’t REM sleep not so important anyways? Isn’t it deep sleep that you want to get lots of?

Also, would it make you overeat the next day? I just sleep after the day of.

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

Smoking is bad 

the more often you are sober the better 

Would edibles be better? Would mushrooms be better? 

21 minutes ago, no_name said:

But isn’t REM sleep not so important anyways? Isn’t it deep sleep that you want to get lots of?

REM sleep is very important for things like memory formation, learning and general cognitive functioning.

Edited by Carl-Richard

20 minutes ago, no_name said:

Also, would it make you overeat the next day? I just sleep after the day of.

Weed has a weird way of lingering in the body after the high is technically over (colloquially referred to as the "after-high"), because the psychoactive chemicals are lipid soluble and can stay in your cell membranes and fat stores for longer periods. But sure, you probably wouldn't overeat, but you certainly wouldn't undereat either, unless you smoke so frequently that you go into severe withdrawals when you stop smoking.

Edited by Carl-Richard

21 minutes ago, no_name said:

Would edibles be better? Would mushrooms be better? 

Edibles can be very powerful and last very long, so be careful, but yeah, you'll avoid all the negative effects of smoke inhalation. You should try mushrooms sometime in a small dose, preferably without mixing it with any other substance.

22 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

You should try mushrooms sometime in a small dose, preferably without mixing it with any other substance

I am actually planning to do it this weekend or Friday for the first time ? . I am just concerned about how healthy all this stuff is to the physical body. 

3 minutes ago, no_name said:

I am actually planning to do it this weekend or Friday for the first time ? . I am just concerned about how healthy all this stuff is to the physical body. 

Psilocybin mushrooms are probably one of the most innocuous things you can eat healthwise :)

20190629_woc294.png

Edited by Carl-Richard

9 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Psilocybin mushrooms are probably one of the most innocuous things you can eat healthwise :)

20190629_woc294.png

Thank you for this! 

It seems to say there is still health damage though. If you compare it to not doing anything at all that is. 

28 minutes ago, no_name said:

It seems to say there is still health damage though. If you compare it to not doing anything at all that is. 

The dark blue color also includes factors like mental impairment and dependence. There is virtually no such thing as dependence when it comes to mushrooms. However, the paper defines mental impairment as something like mental health damage, which is of course a potential risk, but it's not like a passive "brain frying effect" (as far as we know), but rather that it might trigger some underlying conditions, or just cause a very unpleasant experience. That is why it's important to be careful with dosages and such, especially people who are mentally unstable.

Edited by Carl-Richard

@Carl-Richard it’s a bit misleading that they combined physical health damage with psychological into one category 

I am mostly interested in any physical damages 

Weed comes in THC tincture. There is no need to smoke anything.

Mushrooms come in pure synthetic forms like 4-AcO-DMT. No need to consume any mushroom toxins.

DMT shows neurogenerative properties.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

mushroom toxins

So mushrooms do have toxins then…. I just got blue meanies and golden teacher - would they have toxins in them too? 

13 minutes ago, no_name said:

So mushrooms do have toxins then…. I just got blue meanies and golden teacher - would they have toxins in them too? 

It can cause some nausea if you eat the flesh and don't make it in a tea for example. It's not deadly though.

16 minutes ago, no_name said:

Of course.

Mushroom flesh is toxic.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

It can cause some nausea if you eat the flesh and don't make it in a tea for example. It's not deadly though.

So why wouldn’t you just make it in a tea then? Does it lose some potency? Is it healthy in a tea?