Rayko

Self-Actualized Music

37 posts in this topic

@Algebro I also wondered if activities like listening to music, reading (in this case literature), and other forms of art largely available to the masses such as movies and even museum art (and other stuff I guess) play a role in ones personal development, can block you or simply make no difference. 

Personally I can identify music that resonates 100% with my ego (the kind of music in ads and presentations that make you wanna buy the product, go to the festival, feel the adrenaline and think you want something beacause of social brainwash, etc.) - so, bad; and there is also music that calms me down, fills me with joy and encourages me to look for deeper meaning and beauty in life - which is good. This brings another question: Does all music have the same effect of should we "look" at music differently depending on the type (type as in what it makes you feel, not the genre, which is subjective); really think this deserves some thought :D

have a pleasant evening!

I'm into any kind of instrumental/electronic music. They help me a lot with staying focused with my creative hobbies and also work in general.

Maybe I'd listen to relaxing stuff to keep myself calm and reduce stress.

And other times I'd listen to some hardcore stuff to keep myself energized during the work session.

The music who most inspire me are the one's who messes with my my essence.

On 2/8/2016 at 8:04 AM, Abeo Maria said:

Personally, my favorite music has no lyrics/words to it. I love listening to smooth jazz, classical, or anything techno trance as long as it's smooth and doesn't have much of a hardcore beat.
If I'm working out, I definitely like motivational songs with lyrics, but if I'm just driving my car or cleaning the house or walking the dog, I tend to feel more in a meditative state and more at peace when I'm not identifying to actual words and am just objectively listening to the music.

trance <3

Anarchy!  "Anarchism does not mean chaos and violence or every man for himself. Simply put, anarchism does mean that no one is your master and no one is your slave."

@Rayko Dream theater- learning to live
                Dream theater- take the time
                Dream theater- change of seasons (this one is my favorite) 
                Dream theater- breaking all illusions
                Basically everything by this band is inspiring.
                Then theres slipknot, this band is helping me to release my anger, agression, hatred, negative things that are inside me, their music is filled with rage and they are very raw, check out: sulfur, duality, psychosocial, aov, sarcastrophe, the negative one and many many more by them. 

If you're into Hip Hop, I would highly recommend checking out A-1 and Kenny Shane. These are two artists I can really back as more "self-actualized" or "aware" Hip Hop.

Very different from the Drake or Future you hear being played so often, if you listen to artists like Kendrick or Logic then you know what I mean, but the guys I mentioned take it a step further in my opinion. These are their Soundclouds, and almost all their tracks can be downloaded for free. 

Anything from Progressive Rock artists who can play their instruments, create structurally interesting musics, with varying themes often blending with the lyrics, thus creating even concept albums as a whole, sound landscapes which are great for visualisation (most songs with vocals will do as well imagining their own stories) will do. I recommend: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis, IQ - Tales From The Lush Attic f.e.

As well as Jazz - Hard Bop, Post Bop, Fusion. Great exercise to focus on every part of individual instrument. It clearly shows how little aware we are and all we care about is just a simple melody to tap our feet to and not discovering style and passion of every individual band member.

Don't quote me on this one but I remember reading that productivity music shouldn't contain any human voice, as the brain tend to automatically focus on the human voice, rather than on the task.

Lately I've been listening a lot to Daft Punk - Contact. It's great when visualizing or doing other creative work.

While doing chorus around the house, put on some headphones and play relaxing music, sometimes just nature music, different types. I just try to be and be conscious of what I'm doing. let myself go and experience myself just simply being, nothing more. It's  maybe a type of connection I get while listening to calm music, it definitely has to be with headphone to experience the quality and pureness of the sounds.