PetarKa

A Paradox Of Life - If There Is No Good Or Evil, Then How Can We Say That Self-actualization Is The The Goal Of Life?

5 posts in this topic

I've been trying to wrap my mind around this issue. If I sit down and logically think about it, I can see conclude that ultimately there is no goal or point in life, there is nothing objectively good or bad, thing just are. So I am now asking myself: If that is the case, why should I even bother with Self-Actualization? Why not just let go? But here's the catch: I don't know how to let go... So even if I let go today, tomorrow I will just forget or lose the effect of letting go. And I'm back to where I started -- trapped in this vicious and self-deceiving cycle. Although I do not have an answer to this issue, in the background I can just barely see a light, an answer to this question, I can feel the need to trust the paradox and go with it -- it seems like you need to take control, go for Self-Actualization, go after goals (all of which are the opposite of letting go), so that in the end you can somehow (I have no idea how) simply let go.

I don't know if this post made any sense. If it did, what do you think, where does the answer to this issue lie? Is this a paradox at all or am I just armchair-philosophizing?

I think the paradox is sort of similar to the self improvement paradox. The self improvement paradox goes something like this: On thee one hand, people tell you that you are already perfect, but on the other hand you still gotta improve. In this case, both aspects of the paradox are correct meaning you are perfect, yet you should still strive to become better. I think it is similar in the paradox you have described. That means that you there is no goal or objective, there is no good nor bad. But on the other hand, you still need to self actualize and create some sort of meaning to live a fulfilling life. Otherwise, you could risk just becoming a nihilist where you see everything as just pointless. The thing the nihilist dismisses is subjective experience and the importance of engaging with life to create a meaningful life. The meaning is an illusion, but it can ground you in something tangible and be a source of deep internal fulfillment. You are a part of society just like everyone and if you did not give a sh#t, your life would probably slide. Not giving a sh#t and still acing life is a rare thing. That requires giving a sh#t until you have the habits installed that you can kind of "ease of the pedal" and let life carry itself out. Even though there is no meaning literally, you still have psychological and physiological needs.

But in conclusion, this is just my perspective. I think you should stay open and let the paradox resolve itself for you by yourself. 

@PetarKa

"A Paradox Of Life - If There Is No Good Or Evil, Then How Can We Say That Self-actualization Is The The Goal Of Life?"

Good and evil, goals, are preferences. Some we easily agree on, some we don't. So there are 8 billion versions. Outside of those preferences, all is what it is. The question is, what do you prefer? You are free to make that preference your experience. 

Letting go is very relative to your life experience and current situations. You may need to let go of things that I have never experienced. Generally speaking though, there are 2 of me. The higher self / everything / God...and the ego, which chooses not to simply sit on a hill and bask in the bliss of everythingness. I love being both. I lead a very high energy full life. As careful as I am with my perspective, outlook, health, etc - I of course still accumulate resistant thought and emotion, like I assume everyone does. I do not proceed with it though. I have found a letting go process that works for me and has sticking power. When I learn new things, face challenges, etc, I feel a slight impurity or disharmony, so I do my letting go work to get empty again. Here's what I have found works for me:

Sleep:

Before you fall sleep, increase your awareness that we all wake up everyday with zero thought momentum. 

Waking:

When you wake up, notice how you awoke with no thought momentum. Admit to yourself, that if you immediately fill your head back up with yesterday's thoughts, that is a choice you are unknowingly making. If this sounds foreign to you, give it a few mornings and you'll start to notice the choice. I have a piece of paper placed so I see it when I wake up that says "DO NOT THINK WITHIN 1 HOUR OF WAKING. DO NOT THINK BEFORE EXCERCISING". Your paper would probably say something different. Whatever works for you. I implement a mental / verbal excercise so that I don't think in a wandering way. I take deep breaths and focus on what a fucking miracle it is that I can take a deep breath. I notice the sweetness of it. The good fortune. The deliciousness. I play the 'my favorite' game. Everything I see (on the way to my coffee maker) I say "You're my favorite".   - "You're my favorite blanket" "You're my favorite light switch" "You're my favorite steps" "You're my favorite cup" "You're my favorite coffee bean" It sets the state of mind I want. 

Then I have my coffee. (Which is really a cappuccino but I don't want to sound all cappucinoish)

Meditation:

Then I meditate. I focus on my breathing and let the thoughts, if any, pass right on through. I don't write them down. I don't try to remember them. I let ALL of them pass right on through. I don't identify with them. I am the everything.  This non thinking meditation is easy because I have practiced every morning for twenty some years, and I have primed myself for it since the first second I woke up. I relax every little muscle from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. I feel the wave of relaxation move through me. I do this 4 or 5 times, deeper and deeper, until I feel the tiniest muscles in my spine relax. Muscles I didn't even know were flexed. 

Day:

Then, throughout the day, I notice in very black and white - someone's energy is higher than mine or lower than mine. (Not the person, the energy) If it's lower than mine, I am mindful to use compassion, never empathy. If it is higher than mine, I am mindful to use curiosity, humility and attention. This 'way' if you will, prevents most of the resistant thought that would later need letting go of.

Next day, repeat. 

*Realizing how long this is. I hope it's helpful or at least worth reading. Godspeed.

Edited by Nahm

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@PetarKa

A) In the absolute sense, there is no goal to life and nothing needs to be done. When we talk about self-actualization as an important goal, we mean this pragmatically. It's a stepping stone. You can become a heroin addict if you like. But that would be a foolish move because you'd end up hating your life. There is nothing wrong with hating your life in the absolute sense. But in the relative sense, it sucks.

B) You're right. If you could just fully let go, you would have no need to self-actualize because you'd already have self-actualized. It's sort of like you're asking, Why should I set a goal to become a billionaire if I'm already a billionaire? Well, are you? Once you are, you can drop the goal. But you're not, so here you are.

Life if your chance to grow up and become fully conscious of reality. That's what this whole game is about. It's just a game. But you're gonna play it whether you want to or not. And it's gonna kick your ass pretty hard when you play it poorly.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@PetarKa Because it feels good.

Your motivation for all you do is to feel good. Without an exception.

Imagine a fully integarted transcended self, aware of its infinite nature and being engaged with the beauty of it all fully, whilst (if desired) harvesting the fulfillment of service to others.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.