Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LoneWonderer

Cold exposure

6 posts in this topic

So like now that it's winter when I go to bed I purposely cover myself with less blankets to feel colder, sometimes to the point of low grade shivering at night. I don't have money for those expensive cold therapies and I don't have a frozen lake to swim in. Is this a effective method to experience the benefits of cold exposure? Any other suggestions apart from cold showers?

@LoneWonderer An ice bath could be another alternative. I would not be trying to fall asleep being really cold though. A cool room will help you sleep overall. 

Go for a walk without a jacket. Bonus points for trying to walk without shoes, just don't end up losing a toe over it.

Ice pack on the back of the neck is quite effective at quickly lowering your body temperature, it cools the blood in major veins and arteries going to/from your brain. I first heard it from Tim Ferriss as a way to lose weight. Which is also something you'll need to watch out for if you're doing significant amounts of cold exposure. Michael Phelps eats 8,000 - 10,000 calories per day while training. Not because swimming is such intense exercise. Even more calories are spent just keeping the body warm when you spend hours a day in a pool.

On 12.12.2022 at 1:56 AM, LoneWonderer said:

Any other suggestions apart from cold showers?

I think the only option for you is cold showers.