StarStruck

Should you judge a book by its cover

6 posts in this topic

So I have a boxing trainer and I’m enjoying his training a lot. There is one thing though: he is fat. And I noticed that I judge him every time I see it. I don’t have a need to lose weight. It is just that I can’t stop judging him for that. I’m thinking how can you help others if you can’t help himself?

I have noticed in myself this kind of judgement of other people too. I judge spiritual leaders, doctors and therapists like this. It seems like I’m scanning for red flags. I think this is normal behavior. Like if a therapist has all kind of health issues, relationship issues and such, how could he help me with stuff if he clearly can’t solve his own problems? Or when I see a fat doctor: all my red flags go up. He is clearly not preaching what he is selling to his patients. 

They say don’t judge a book by its cover but I think this is a wrong belief. The cover of the book doesn’t say everything about the person but it does say something. 

Edited by StarStruck

What de you mean by judge? If you mean we make some guess of the person based on its appearance and gesticulation, yes, it is something natural we automatically do when we know a new person. 

5 minutes ago, RedLine said:

What de you mean by judge? If you mean we make some guess of the person based on its appearance and gesticulation, yes, it is something natural we automatically do when we know a new person. 

Judging = value judging 

So if a doctor is fat, does that affect the value of his diet advice to his patients?

how old is he? sounds like he might be retired from the industry , football managers are too old to play but they have the best experience and knowledge to lead and train 

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

He isn’t your diet coach, he is trying to teach you boxing. 
You don’t have to take 100% advice from one person just take what you want. If you think he doenst have enough of a champion mentality just learn boxing from him and take inspiration from other people when it comes to champion mentality.  

When I was a swimmer as a kid winning tonnes of races my coaches were fat. Old men who are fat, can still coach a young body to greatness.

However, it is still a red flag. Like, when the man selling yo hair growth pills is bald. 

So many books on Leo’s book list I thought sounded dumb at first. Like Jed Meckenna. The name “Jed” and the books cover looked dumb. But, it turned out to be a powerful book. And very enjoyable.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"