2xj_m

Does Mindfulness improve your art?

6 posts in this topic

So recently I've been listening to a lot of art advice and very interesting theme I've picked up upon is that the better you are at observing and noticing things, the better you are at eventually recreating it and experimenting with it. Therefore I came to a conclusion that if mindfulness improves your observational skills then it will have a major direct influence on your art. 

At first I only though about it in the context of drawing. Observing different object and figuring them out will directly influence your ability to draw it. Now that I am writing this post I realized that it may also apply to other forms of art, like music, dance etc. 

Does anyone of you have any experiance with this? What do you think about this hypothesis?

I've come across this advice a lot too, I think you're right with this hypothesis. If you want to draw something realistically, firstly you need to learn to see it as it is, instead of what you think it looks like. I believe at this stage of drawing, mindfulness is exactly what all the art teachers are trying to teach you without knowing. 

On 28-11-2022 at 11:47 AM, 2xj_m said:

So recently I've been listening to a lot of art advice and very interesting theme I've picked up upon is that the better you are at observing and noticing things, the better you are at eventually recreating it and experimenting with it. Therefore I came to a conclusion that if mindfulness improves your observational skills then it will have a major direct influence on your art. 

At first I only though about it in the context of drawing. Observing different object and figuring them out will directly influence your ability to draw it. Now that I am writing this post I realized that it may also apply to other forms of art, like music, dance etc. 

Does anyone of you have any experiance with this? What do you think about this hypothesis?

Absolutely! For me with music, the more mindful I practice or listen, the deeper and faster I learn. It's also more enjoyable then coming from a scattered mind, which unfortunately happens often enough as well.

Practicing mindfulness/meditation definitely must have had a big impact on my music creating abilities.

I think all great artists apply intense mindfulness to their art, even if they are scattered in other areas of their lifes.

Do regular walks improve art?  Does drinking water improve art?  Does eating pizza improve art?

The answer is yes to pretty much anything you can think of.  Mindfulness isn't anything special, it just calms you down.  What else has this effects?  Relieving your hunger/thirst, taking your mind off things, taking a big, satisfying shit, etc.

23 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

taking a big, satisfying shit, etc.

Definitely! :D A big, mindful, satisfying shit

art can improve mindfulness 

Edited by Holymoly