Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tboy

drying mushrooms you've picked. Anyone have experience?

6 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience with drying and storing mushrooms you've picked? I'm wondering whether to trust this video or not but if this does work then it would be very practical.

Seems fine. Food dehydrator would probably be my go-to. If you don't want to pay for one of those, I'd put an oven on the lowest possible setting. If you can't get the temp low enough you might have to prop the door open, which has an added bonus of letting moisture escape faster, probably will take 6 - 8 hours.

Leaving them sitting on paper would be my last choice just because of increased risk of mold. In a temperate climate in fall/winter months when the air is naturally dry it's probably fine. If you live in the tropics or in the hottest part of summer it'd be riskier.

I would avoid the solar cooker because it seems like it'd get too hot. I've seen people cook meatloaf and bake bread in those kinds of setups.

I don't know what temp psilocybin starts to break down but it must be above the boiling temperature of water since you can make mushroom tea. I would try to stay close to or under 100 C / 200 F to be safe.

You can wrap them into clinex for 2 days and then put them in a sealed box with a untoxic moisture absorbing substance like silica gele or epson salt. But often you have to get rid of the moisture in these substances first by putting them at 100°C into the oven. Take also into account that the absorber shouldn't get into direct contact with the mushrooms. This is a cheap and reliable methode.

Skip all the bullshit and get a food dehydrator. Cheap and efficient.