Someone here

Slowing down time via meditation

13 posts in this topic

When you are busy in mind the day passes quickly so it seems time speeds up when there is constant action in mind. When you are not busy and present in the moment in mind time can feel like it is slowed down ,you can get bored with nothing to occupy the mind.

The above seems to suggest to me that time is dependent on how preoccupied your mind is or the extent to which it is preoccupied.

So if time is linked to the speed of the flow of thought in the mind, then slowing thought down will give the impression that time is passing slowly in the mind.

So the impression of time in the mind is related to action in the mind.

So you can slow down that sense of time in the mind if you can get to that point in the mind, where all thinking in the mind has stopped.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

If your mind were perfectly empty, there would be no time, only the eternal present. time is an idea of the mind. for animals there is no time, only the present. They are in the Garden of Eden. humans are in the hell of the mind, and we build time and all the other crazy egoic paraphernalia.

The slowest, and most excruciatingly boring times I've ever experienced were the times I was doing something I didn't want to do, or waiting for something that I wanted so much. And even slower than that when I combined both at the same time.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

4 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

If your mind were perfectly empty, there would be no time, only the eternal present. time is an idea of the mind. for animals there is no time, only the present. They are in the Garden of Eden. humans are in the hell of the mind, and we build time and all the other crazy egoic paraphernalia.

Exactly.
But only for advanced  mediators. The essence of meditation is concentration. When we concentrate intensely, without much interference, time seems to go by very slowly. The opposite of like when we are engrossed in a movie that was very captivating, when the film finally ends we think, where did the time go. It goes on really fast.  So it's a matter of concentration and focus .
P.S what the heck is "paraphernalia"?ffs  where do you get these words from xD

-Osho

4 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

The slowest, and most excruciatingly boring times I've ever experienced were the times I was doing something I didn't want to do, or waiting for something that I wanted so much. And even slower than that when I combined both at the same time.

Yeah I can relate ?

I think It has to do with the amount of focus and anticipation you have. If you’re really looking forward to something that is all you want to think about. But if all you do is think about it you get bored. You have to train yourself to think about other things while you wait. You might say, “Heck no! I’m excited about this. Heck with other stuff.” What if you’re waiting days or weeks or even longer? You’re going to get bored to the point that you get frustrated and that can diminish your enjoyment of the thing you’re anticipating. You’re way better off finding other things to enjoy while you wait. Time will still go by whether you’re paying attention to it or not .

-Osho

3 hours ago, Someone here said:

But only for advanced  mediators. The essence of meditation is concentration.

Not agree, the essence of meditation is detachment. what happens is that many meditators strive in concentration and get a forced silence. that silence is worth nothing imo. detachment is realizing that all your mental  paraphernalia? is absolutely nothing, software that enslaves you with no real substance. once you see this you can meditate walking down the street. reality takes on color, depth and beauty, and loses meaning. you are in wild territory, without handles for the mind, where life and death are the same

1 hour ago, Breakingthewall said:

Not agree, the essence of meditation is detachment. what happens is that many meditators strive in concentration and get a forced silence. that silence is worth nothing imo. detachment is realizing that all your mental  paraphernalia? is absolutely nothing, software that enslaves you with no real substance. once you see this you can meditate walking down the street. reality takes on color, depth and beauty, and loses meaning. you are in wild territory, without handles for the mind, where life and death are the same

I think meditation is just about realizing you are not your mind. That’s it. If you wish to go further in your awakening work you have to raise your consciousness .

Meditation just helps you realize that You are not all those thoughts, commands, judgments and noise running through your mind, not that nagging, narrating, psychologically assessing voice in your head.

You are the Awareness of that voice, and all thoughts.

And since You are only Awareness, which has no thoughts, just beingness & observation, the true You is always still, silent, and resting in a peace that passeth all understanding, pure bliss.

Watching all that noise.
While knowing It is not that noise.

Imagine the freedom! Even if you never ‘progress’ any further (to samadhi, self-realization, ‘enlightenment,’ whatever)

-Osho

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

I think meditation is just about realizing you are not your mind. That’s it. If you wish to go further in your awakening work you have to raise your consciousness .

Meditation just helps you realize that You are not all those thoughts, commands, judgments and noise running through your mind, not that nagging, narrating, psychologically assessing voice in your head.

You are the Awareness of that voice, and all thoughts.

And since You are only Awareness, which has no thoughts, just beingness & observation, the true You is always still, silent, and resting in a peace that passeth all understanding, pure bliss.

Watching all that noise.
While knowing It is not that noise.

Imagine the freedom! Even if you never ‘progress’ any further (to samadhi, self-realization, ‘enlightenment,’ whatever)

Exactly, good explanation. But the problem imo is that the thing goes very deep. there are many layers and awakenings are necessary. It is not enough to realize that you are not, you have to realize that you are. And it's not enough to realize once with 5meo etc, you have to be open to what you are always. If not, you always will be attached to the need of human love. 

15 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

Exactly, good explanation. But the problem imo is that the thing goes very deep. there are many layers and awakenings are necessary. It is not enough to realize that you are not, you have to realize that you are. And it's not enough to realize once with 5meo etc, you have to be open to what you are always. If not, you always will be attached to the need of human love. 

It is actually possible to awaken completely sober without using any drugs .although it's harder and takes a lot of effort. But it's totally possible to awaken using meditation alone. 

Just begin to cultivate the habit of being fully present to the here and now at all times.
Your mind is not accustomed to this at all and is taking you to the past or the future 99% of the time or more. As you begin to cultivate the habit of presence (or no-mind), you will begin to see the magnitude of the habit of being unconscious.
It takes practice ,and the mind does not like becoming superfluous! , but it is a simple and direct path.
Think of it as a rest for your mind. Your mind will become your friend if it doesn't have to be in charge of impossible things anymore!
At any time that you are present to the here and now, you are awake. It's just that at first it's hard to be awake for more than a few seconds at a time.
So start with 15 seconds. Focus on something positive , a happy memory or a desired state , for 15 seconds in a row. Or focus on nothing at all for 15 seconds in a row. If your mind starts thinking of anything other than your happy thought or no-thought, then start again.
Once you can consistently do 15 seconds, work toward 30 seconds, then 60 seconds.
If you can get to 60 seconds, you will probably have discovered how profoundly different being awake is from most people's normal state.
And your life will change.

-Osho

20 minutes ago, Someone here said:

So start with 15 seconds. Focus on something positive , a happy memory or a desired state , for 15 seconds in a row. Or focus on nothing at all for 15 seconds in a row. If your mind starts thinking of anything other than your happy thought or no-thought, then start again.
Once you can consistently do 15 seconds, work toward 30 seconds, then 60 seconds.

Imo it doesn't work. the problem with meditation schools, like Vipassana, is that they do things by force. his idea is: the problem is thinking, so we have to stop thinking and we will do it for my balls.

the question is: why do you think compulsively? that forces you to constantly interpret reality, to label it, to project yourself into the past and the future? it is anxiety. If deep down in your psyche the vibration is anxious, trying to stop thinking will be like stretching a spring. you can do it for a moment, but its inertia will be to return to its position. you have to go to the bottom and understand the mechanisms of attachment and rejection that have created the illusion of separation and with it your entire psyche, face them and unravel the labyrinth. become a being without a psyche. I speak in theory because I am not at that point. I am at the point of deepening day by day, understanding and seeing how anxiety is diminishing and with it the mental noise. meditation is a practice that helps, but it alone is not enough

@Breakingthewall
Like I said ..it depends how far in the spiritual path you wanna get . If you want full blown God-Consciousness where you understand everything about yourself and reality (a state of omniscience)..then 
5 minutes a day won't do that.

I meditated for about a month, every waking moment, and achieved the cessation oh the chattering monkey mind. That is the first stage of enlightenment.

A lifetime of spiritual reading guided me past that.

Achieve the first goal. Then keep at it and go deeper

I think First, you have to define spiritual awakening. For me, it means something specific when I use the term. Spiritual awakening, Enlightenment, Self-Realization, and several other terms are all equal and point to the same happening. They all point to a radical and permanent change of our identification. Basically, we see through the mirage called “ego” and are never fooled by the mirage again. With seeing through the ego, all the suffering, seeking, and fear that results from believing the mirage of ego ceases.

What can the ego do to overcome the ego? So, there is nothing you can do that will lead to spiritual awakening.

Does meditation help? Yes, it does  in my opinion.

Especially, if it is the simple meditation of being present…just sitting and doing nothing else. Not to get something…just be be still…just to be quiet.

Sometimes that is all one needs for spiritual awakening…some time where nothing is being done, just experiencing all that can be experienced, and so thoughts cease happening in the mind. In that silence, there may be a realization.

Kind of like when you want to fall asleep at night. There is nothing you can do to cause yourself to fall asleep. Any attempts to try to fall asleep seem to keep us awake. But there are things we can do to make sleep more likely. We can turn off the lights. We can go to a quiet room. We can relax our bodies.

Likewise, meditation is just something that might make falling Awake easier to occur.

-Osho

On 10/28/2022 at 3:33 PM, Someone here said:

So if time is linked to the speed of the flow of thought in the mind, then slowing thought down will give the impression that time is passing slowly in the mind.

Do any of you remember how slowly time passed when you were a child? But when you became a teenager, things went faster. Then as an adult, things went even faster, and when you thought it couldn't get any faster, you grew older, and time flew even more swiftly.

On 10/29/2022 at 1:25 AM, Breakingthewall said:

humans are in the hell of the mind

Heaven and hell are two sides of the same coin.

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.