Need Help! Trying To Form A Band.

6 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm a 16 year old. I am trying to form a band with people. I've gotten a couple of people together but they don't seem to really want to play music with me. I've been trying trying trying, but they either don't respond or make an excuse as to why they can't come over. I'm always the one doing the seeking, and it's getting old fast. How do I find people to play with who are PASSIONATE. Finding musicians isn't enough, they have to genuinely want to play. If any of you were once in my shoes with a similar situation (even outside of music) I would love some help! Thank you!

Right with you there. Finding people who are as passionate about the same things you are is really hard because not everyone might share your beliefs or motivations starting from the genre to the content and everything in between. This leads to disagreements and whatnot. That's why band members in any band generally tend to shift around and change. Egos butt heads a bunch too, Lol. Decide what it is you want from the "band" structure. Is your passion for music based on your wanting to share ideas and formulate them in a group or are you comfortable enough in your ability to pursue your own sound by yourself? You might find you don't necessarily need a full band to create the music. I've also had trouble getting people to rally behind a band but at this point my outlook is "I'll be my own band".

You could teach yourself to play all the instruments and record yourself and then for live performing you could buy a loop station and perform that way. Or learn how to use software like logic, Ableton or Garage band and simulate some instruments and then look for people who strictly want to perform online. If nobody wants to or is passionate about working with you right you have to go at it alone. Unfortunately most people will only want to join you once they see something happening. Just keep doing you!  

Kevin Parker the producer of Tame Impala does the production himself but you'd think otherwise. 

"The truth, however, is that this five-piece are just a front, the touring cover for a solo project orchestrated from Parker's bedroom. A self-proclaimed loner, he composes and records every layer of sound on his songs before calling on his mates – who are all in other Perth bands – to play out their respective parts. They're there to beef up the live shows, and to stop Parker from getting locked in his own head."

I´ve been playing in bands for the past 6 years and the best tip i can give to you is to simply keep doing what you are currently doing meanwhile practicing your instrument or vocals by yourself constantly. The better you get and the more you gain experience, the easier it will be for you to find a functional band full of passionate and dedicated musicians. Also go to concerts and get more friends that are in the local music  scene, most of them propably know people who are looking for a band to play in. Once you find a full band have a little patience with other members, since being in a band is the best practice you can get. Recording your own songs with the other instruments simulated is also worth gold for your musical development. 

Most of this might have been common sense but hope i was for some help. Keep searching, you will eventually find what you seek.

Practice, become serious about it. FInd the balance between niché, craft and artistry.

As an artist I can say; you will attract people if you develop an excellent craft and an excellent niché. This can take years to develop, but do it consistently, and do a lot of reasearch and it will sort itself out.

Play with anyone, be open to other directions, seek out environments with people who play the kind of music you want to play, take lessons with your favorite artists if possible.

Edited by art
mispelling

Are you putting yourself in a situation where you need to rely on others to reach your goals?