Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WenU

Replacing meditation practice for slackline practice; useful idea?

19 posts in this topic

Hi peeps. I wanted to know your opinion about slacklining as one form of meditation. 

For some couple of months now I've been noticing no progress from my meditation practice (I've been meditating consistently for about 5 years by now). Actually, I feel that I've regressed in a sense... so I'm looking for ways to change that. I've practiced slacklining in the past and I really felt it was meditative, specially after doing it for some couple of hours. Furthermore, I've noticed that I'm a very kinesthetic person, so maybe in my case moving meditation could be actually more effective than sitting. 

Looking forward to hear some (hopefully experience based) answers :) 

Why not do both? I'm sure they will complement each other.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Lack of time basically. I'm on a point in my life when I decided to devote more time to my LP and dating life than to spirituality.

You could do noting meditation whilst slacklining

or other types of meditation, i.e. non-directive, or body based meditations such as yoga nidra

Also, would v much recommend IFS

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

@WenU Do what you enjoy. If you aren't noticeably benefiting from meditation than I would find something else to do with your time.

I did mechanical meditation like that for years and in hindsight it wasn't necessary. There are many ways to grow, you don't have to meditate.

If you want to get seriously into meditation I'd recommend some kind of a retreat, but even that is not necessary.

I personally prefer videos like this

or reading books like ACIM.

I also really enjoyed Sadhguru's Surya Kriya yoga.

@Ulax Thanks for your answer. Yes, there are many techniques that could be used, but in this context I see it as specially proper to concentrate on the feeling of movement (could be the entire body, or just isolating one part). Slacklining is really demanding in terms of attention.

Could you tell me what IFS means?

@Raptorsin7 I tend to do what I enjoy jaja that's why i'm thinking about starting slacklining again. On the other hand, I also want to use my time effectively. There are many things that I enjoy that would probably not lead me to enlightenment, and that's something that I want to "xperience/achieve/attain" (or whichever verb is most suitable in this sense), and meditation is so ubiquitous when it comes to spiritual practices and in a way it is portrayed as if there were no other way around... that's why I'm doubting about changing it or "tweaking" it.

I've done some retreats and that's really another level of meditation, and there I've definetely noticed some progress, but that is a big time investment that at this point in my life I'm only willing to do once a year. 

2 minutes ago, WenU said:

@Ulax Thanks for your answer. Yes, there are many techniques that could be used, but in this context I see it as specially proper to concentrate on the feeling of movement (could be the entire body, or just isolating one part). Slacklining is really demanding in terms of attention.

Could you tell me what IFS means?

It means Internal Family Systems Therapy.

Yoga nidra is body based btw, so could help your stated aims.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

But isn't that a great opportunity to apply your meditative skills? You will not be able to gracefully slackline with all that mental noise and chatter. I know you are trying to manage your time effectively, but that's just such a great combination of practices, that it would be kind of sad if you didn't try to integrate them.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

They are not the same. 

May want to have different days you do different practice. Or one in morning other in night. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art Could you expand some more on that opinion? Have u slacklined? What kinda meditation do u practice?

19 minutes ago, WenU said:

I tend to do what I enjoy jaja that's why i'm thinking about starting slacklining again. On the other hand, I also want to use my time effectively. There are many things that I enjoy that would probably not lead me to enlightenment, and that's something that I want to "xperience/achieve/attain" (or whichever verb is most suitable in this sense), and meditation is so ubiquitous when it comes to spiritual practices and in a way it is portrayed as if there were no other way around... that's why I'm doubting about changing it or "tweaking" it.

I've done some retreats and that's really another level of meditation, and there I've definetely noticed some progress, but that is a big time investment that at this point in my life I'm only willing to do once a year. 

There many different paths and practices. Why are you deadset on enlightenment?

Depending on what your goals are, you will have pick practices accordingly. For enlightenment in the sense that Leo talks about you're probably better off working with strong psychidelics, but even then I'm not sure what the best approach for that is.

I think Kriya Yoga is a more effective and efficient path than typical basic meditation, especially if you have limited time. Maybe look into Sadhguru's Shambhavi mudra kriya yoga.

I am sorry If I am derailing the thred but what is stacklining?

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

@Raptorsin7 Enlightenment because I'm super curious about it... plus I've experienced some deep meditative states (probably not enlightenment) and they were really fulfilling... plus I've let myself be brainwashed by Leo about it jaja. 

Kriya Yoga is also something i've been wanting to learn, but I've been holding on with learning any kind of yoga at all for something Sadhguru said about learning yoga from videos, books or even certified instructors (i can't find the video now, but it basically said that if u don't learn yoga from a really good master it wouldn't do you any good). And yes, I've given authority to that man too.

@Raptorsin7 And yes, working deeply with psychedelics is also something that i've thought about doing, but I also don't know any method for doing that. Maybe somebody here has some advice about it?

@WenU Yeah that makes sense about wanting enlightenment. Try 5 meo DMT or MALT if you want a taste of what Leo's talking about. 

And yeah I think Sadhguru has a great point about learning proper yoga. I did yoga in a class for like 6 months a few years ago and i always felt something was off about how I was practicing. I learned his Suriya Kriya practice and it takes way less time to do the practice, and I feel so much more satisfaction after doing even a 15 minute practice.

I'm going to get initiated into his shambhavi mudra kriya yoga i've heard really good things about that practice so i'm excited for that one.

@Raptorsin7 The thing about doing psychedelics that way is that sure, they can give u a taste, but what then? how do u raise your day to day consciousness to align with those things? That's why i've stucked with meditation so far, because that seems more long lasting. 

I've also thought about going to Isha for a couple of weeks and learning yoga there, now I actually can because i'm a continent closer than one year ago jaja In that way I would satisfy the assumption I accepted that "it's not a good idea to learn yoga from youtube or other videos or books". 

Congrats about the upcoming workshop u r going to do attend :). It would be nice to hear your experience about it after some time of practicing it

Just now, WenU said:

The thing about doing psychedelics that way is that sure, they can give u a taste, but what then? how do u raise your day to day consciousness to align with those things? That's why i've stucked with meditation so far, because that seems more long lasting. 

This is a great point I agree. Leo hasn't figured this part out yet.

I'm actually planning on spending some time at the ashram in Tenessee too in the near future.

Any other perspective on this topic would be really appreciated :) 

@WenU I have slack lined 

I practice sitting meditation and a few others depending on need. I practice Qigong as well. 

slacklining may be great as well especially in the summer. I’m sure you can always fit a 10 minute sit into your day.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"