The Mystical Man

Moby-Dick - The Greatest Novel Ever Written

35 posts in this topic

Isn't Moby Dick and allegory for Americanism? I heard a lot of good about the book. I should read it some day.

I know that HIdeo Kojima seems to really like that book and makes allusion to it all the time in his games.

gm-9a26b171-4fae-4899-b489-8b818588f22c-dstranding.jpg

45 minutes ago, Basman said:

Isn't Moby Dick and allegory for Americanism?

I don't know. I don't think so, though.

45 minutes ago, Basman said:

I know that HIdeo Kojima seems to really like that book and makes allusion to it all the time in his games.

Interesting. Kojima is an interesting character. I didn't enjoy his work, though.

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

Haven't read the book yet.
But anyway, this is my moby dick xD Probably in my top 5 bands.

Ahab's visage runs red
I want this whale, I want it dead

Edited by Yog

@Yog I don't like metal, but it's interesting to see the influence of Moby-Dick.

Actually, the first three minutes are nice, and I like the lyrics:

Flat and silent the ocean lies
Pequod's captured in a lull
No gentle breeze blows in the sails
Heated by a salty carpet from above
The crew's emaciated, survival tough

Giant billows bear a mighty whiteness
Screams from the lookout: Whale ahead!
I want this whale, I want it dead!

Hysteria on upper deck
Rabid flames in Ahab's eyes
Hustle and bustle, drag and pull
Panic affects the whaler's moves

Fire!

The harpoon slashes the water's surface
Diving into darkness - the prey escapes

Swallowed by the sea
Starboard lies calm
Portside full of wrath
Possessed by unhuman anger

The heart brawly pumps the blood
Through the marionette of rage

Ahab's visage runs red
I want this whale, I want it dead

A fin erupts from the abyss
Proudly undulates the flesh
Reaches bright horizons Inviolable, manorial
An arrow loosens
... and spirit's away.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

@The Mystical Man  Even among metalheads, it's quite rare to find someone that likes this type of metal. It's quite niche.

Anyway, this is the place I go to when I want to be carried by the unyielding ocean (sound) waves and inevitably end up hitting the ocean floor, consumed by wrath. It's more like a theatrical and perspectival thing for me than music. That's my way of moby-dicking around :P

Still, I find the book quite attractive for the very same language/literature reasons. I went through Milton's paradise lost and some of Edgar Poe's work a few years ago, it was quite a blast in that regard.

8 minutes ago, Yog said:

I went through Milton's paradise lost and some of Edgar Poe's work a few years ago

Paradise Lost caught my interest so I ordered it. I also bought the Edgar Allan Poe ultimate collection.

I love this:

I wish Terence had read the whole book.

"Art not game for Moby-Dick?"

moby-dick-white-whale.gif

This is a great interpratation on Moby Dick.

It starts at 3:35

@Sucuk Ekmek Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I like what he says at 57:37.

16 hours ago, The Mystical Man said:

@Sucuk Ekmek Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I like what he says at 57:37.

Glad you find something beneficial.

sergey-shikin-melwill.jpg?1559077426

ArtStation - Moby Dick

I love this:

Moby-Dick is much more than a "revenge is bad" story -- it's more profound than that.

I ordered this shirt:

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C81+-VtfhS

I wish there was more Moby-Dick merchandise.

On 13.03.2023 at 4:32 AM, The Mystical Man said:

I ordered this shirt:

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C81+-VtfhS

I wish there was more Moby-Dick merchandise.

Screw merchandise, you can make your own art.